.DSS to MP3 files sometimes not working

Abe The Babe

Hello,

I am sometimes sent .DSS files for transcription and they appear to be corrupted partway through. For example, a file may be 10 minutes long, play the first minute or two perfectly fine, and then be a jumbled static-filled mess for the duration of the file. It doesn't matter if I use Switch Sound File Converter or any online conversion tool, or whether I switch to a different device, the files get scrambled at the same point every time. The only workaround I have discovered so far is opening them using this DSS player software https://www.dictation.philips.com/ie/products/mobile-dictation/pocketmemo-voice-recorder-lfh9600/#productsupport. Every jumbled file works perfectly fine using it. But seeing as this player has no hotkeys, it's a huge pain to use it compared to the ease of Express Scribe.

Does anybody know what is causing these files to react in such a way? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Thank you so much!

• 7 months later...

whit the Philips Pocketmemo,ther are the same Problem.
Switch can handel DSS or DS2 file on Editmode that means....

If you spoken a sentence or report and you forget some "words" and you rewind at the place to you forget that "word" and "insert" that word whitout clear the rest of the sentence or report "Editmode on Pocketmemo", Switch can convert that MP3 file, and you have that " jumbled static-filled mess"
As you wrote,  DSS player , can play that MP3 file without problem, that means the MP3 file are work fine.

I make too a Support requests, but thay say,  my Pocketmemo have a malfunction, but we have over 70 pices, and all have that malfunction?
i use a other Software, to convert that sort of MP3 files.
A normal MP3 file whitout Editmode works fine.

Express Scribe Transcription Software, cant handel too MP3 on Editmode, have the same problem.