Audio Overlay

italiangen

Hi.  I'm working a project that I want to use a different audio source from the original presentation video.  The second source is much better but does not have the same timing as to starting points as the video.  I trimmed the video front and back so I know my starting point.  I have a wav file for the second audio source and its appropriate start point that relates to the video start point.  I think I need to unlink the original audio and delete it and somehow replace it with the good source.  For some reason I don't think this is correct??  What is the best way to proceed?  Thank you for your help.  Peter

Thanks Borate and Nat,  Following your advice, I was able to achieve replacing the audio track.  When I save the project, will the video and new audio portions be Linked?  Now, what I trying to accomplish is slowing down the speed of the entire video.  The reason; the presenter speaks a-mile-a-minute.  This is a common flaw for us here in the New York area...  I've tried to change the "Clip" speed but I can here any difference even if I use a 50% value.  I really want to apply a change to the entire video (sequence in this case.  Am I using the correct term here?).

You are really helping me out and I hope I'm not abusing the privilege.  Peter D

You are really helping me out and I hope I'm not abusing the privilege.

That's the purpose of this forum - users sharing.

After export, the audio and video won't be linked in the sense that your original clip had audio married to video, but they will be just as they were when viewed on the timeline.

Assuming that there is but one clip in the sequence, slow it by right-clicking it on the timeline.  Then CHANGE CLIP SPEED.  Tested a decrease of 15% here and it worked fine.

Followed your instructions above.  Here is the link.  I'm trying to slow down the presenter's speech.  I'm not sure to what % yet.  After I'm successful at this I would like to increase the audio volume of the audience during Q&A.at the very end of the video.  Can I just highlight their questions and increase the volume individually?    Ver.7.02   W10 Home ver 1809  

I hope I did this correctly...?       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xZlgbkuWqqiqVc4GOgnP6nPhloJsIDXQ/view?usp=sharing

Peter D 

If you choose to slow your file down, apply the speed effect, which will affect audio and video.

As for the questioners, it may be best to leave their volume as is,  but questions can be split into new clips and the amplify effect applied to those clips.

Borate,  Again, thanks for the support.  

1. I'm going to use your improved version as a new project in VP  as apposed to replacing it in the original project.  Am I correct in proceeding this way.

2. Is there a way to see what you changed the values in the "Equalizer" from what they were, to what you changed them to in order to achieve your improved audio results?

3. I understand you about splitting into new clips and I guess I can do the same with some slides that are over exposed.  Using a mask, then apply exposure adjustments to the slide area then snap it back in.  Am I more or less correct?

I'm really learning a lot from you. :)  Peter D 

1.  That's wise.

2.  No, as the equalization was done with Wavepad.

3.  Can do, by splitting precise clips, lining up a mask and adjusting parameters.  Only you can decide if that would enhance the presentation enough to be worth the effort.

In any case, save your project with FILE|SAVE AS and give it incremental numbers so as to not overwrite earlier versions.  Don't use FILE|SAVE.

Understood on all comments.  Question; if I were to purchase Wave Pad, does the VP audio file need to be unlinked and processed by WP then brought back into VP and relinked?  Or is WP embedded into VP?

The acoustics in the auditorium are not great nor is the camera mic.  I used his laptops audio recording as it was much better.  I then processed in "Audacity" then exported a wav file and lined it up with the video, as you know.  Do you think I gain much more by using WavePad instead.

Have a nice Sunday.  PeterD

Audacity and Wavepad have similar capabilities.  WP can be launched from within Videopad, but it's a separate program.

A right-click on the file in VP's bin (under the audio tab) gives the option to SAVE AS NEW WAV FILE, which is written to the PC's music folder.

Once processed, the file can be imported back into Videopad.  When exported from VP, audio and video are then linked.

Videopad itself has audio tools, though they are not as extensive as those in Wavepad.

Thanks Borate, 

1.  When I sent the VP portable file to you I received an email asking for accessIs he from NCH or part of the community?

2 When I finish a project and release a video to our membership via a link, the file should be an exported MP4 and not a portable project file version, correct?

3. Is WP Standard edition good enough for my purposes?  As for NCH purchases, is the price a one year license fee?  

4. Does the VLC player give the viewer a better display, or are they all basically the same?

5. I did slow down the overall speed and it really improved the works just great.

6. I've inserted a cover photo at the very beginning of the sequence for a duration of 5 seconds but I can't figure out how to fade-in then fade-out of it , then fade-in to the sequence of the presentation itself.  I can't seem to see the fade indicator on the timeline....

Regards,  PeterD

1.  You can ignore that.   Prior to it being made public, it was an alternate method for forum members to access the file.

2.  SAVE PROJECT FILE, SAVE PROJECT FILE AS and SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT are not exports.  They are used to restore a project to VP.  Mp4 is popular for export.

3.  There is a monthly subscription plan availale but normally a VP purchase is for life, with free upgrades for six months.  Look here.

4.   Features vary, but display should be basically the same for these PC-based viewers.

6.  In the first clip on the timeline there should be an f button to fade in..  To fade out, use the X (transition) button in the clip and select FADE, or any of the many transitions.

If the f isn't visible, expand the timeline horizontally using the slider near the bottom-right of the window.  Drag the scrollbar at the bottom to view different timeline areas.

Borate,

I was successful with applying the fades and transitions thanks to you. 

Do you have any pointers about the export resolutions.  Sure I want the best for our members viewing but I also realize that these presentation will primarily be displayed on a computer screen and sometimes on a larger TV.  Also, these are not action type videos.  I'm recording in 1080P with a Sony Camcorder FDR-AX53 and import an mp4 file into VPE.  Sometimes I see 720p when I create an export mp4 from VPE.  Any reason for this?  Yes, I see that the higher resolution means larger file size and download / upload times.  Are there other variables that are important to consider.

Big thanks for your help in educating me.  PeterD

Generally, best quality will be obtained by matching input to output resolution.  VP's "auto-match" will make the choice based on source files, but you can override that easily during export.

In the export window there's a FILESIZE blue link to the right of the File Format field.  Experiment with that for best quality vs. file size.

If, for example, he recorded a word, or even an entire sentence whose timing matches the original it could be dropped, in sync, on audio track #2.

That portion of audio track #1 could be split out and muted.  Click the button on the clip that's to the right of the FX button.

Audio quality of the original vs. the fix will likely be different but at least the name will be correct.

Borate,  I'm having some difficulty understanding the steps necessary to preform this replacing a spoken phrase.  I've been reviewing some of the NCH videos to pick up concepts but just have not grasped enough...yet.

1. Got the clip loaded on the time line and have identified the split point where I want to insert a correct phrase.  I split it then I muted the audio at that point.  (Q: once I get the corrected phrase inserted do I then un-mute the audio so that the rest of the original track plays?)

2. I loaded the correction audio track on track 2.  This tract has the speaker repeating the correct phrase a few times.  Once I hear the instance I like, do I highlight it and copy it?  I tried to pull it up into track 1 but that does not work either.

3. After I get this edit or correction done, and save the project, will both audio tracks be saved and when I export an MP4 file only track 1 with the correction be compiled?

Thanks again for your support.

Peter D

1.  Mute only the clip, not the track.  Click on the little speaker icon to the right of the FX button in the audio clip, then check the MUTE box.

2.  Leave the precise desired replacement segment on track 2, immediately below the muted identical phrase on track 1.

3.  Both tracks will be exported.  Track one will be heard except for the muted portion that you split out.  Track 2 will be heard at that time - replacing the original.