2 issues: black levels, and clip animation preview behavior

Miggy

I did a project yesterday with a ton of fades and the only one with an issue was the final one, ending credits fading to black. And it didn't matter if I had a blank back clip after it or not.

If no one else can see it but me, I won't worry about it. But here's something odd.

This was a video I created for my wife, taking videos and pictures she had made of her grandfather's quilt presentation ceremony (for being a ww2 vet). I made one final minor change and then left it exporting, as it was time for bed. The project name and final video name are both Quilt Presentation. This morning, I copy Quilt Presentation.mp4 to the thumb drive to play for her on the HT system. Then just on a whim, I played the video still on my computer HD. I noticed right away it was wrong, as I had made a change in the wording on the first title screen. I scroll through it and see it is outdated. I loaded the project into VP and it's the same outdated version. I thought I was going to have to tell her it was going to be delayed again, as it appeared I was going to have to redo the work I had done the night before. Then I played the video that was on the thumb drive, and it  was actually the final, finished version! I then saw a project file on the computer called Quilt Presentation - Copy. I opened it in VP and it was the final version. So, all is well as I just copied the video from the thumb drive back to the computer and then renamed the copy of the project back to Quilt Presentation. But can anyone explain that lunacy? 

It's either a Ryzan thing, or my computer is possessed.

c_major,

Thank you for checking.

ETA: I just watched the video again and noticed that it does mess up in another fadeout. The beginning of the video starts with 3 title screen fading to black. Two of them are fine, but the first one leaves behind the after image. So it's just completely random.

Just out of curiosity, has VP been documented as running correctly with Ryzen 7  processors?

c_major,

I just wondered what the difference was when I first started using VP, when it was slower but stable and with never any issues, and after I upgraded, which runs faster but having various weird issues. With the Ryzen 7 processors being fairly new, I thought that might have been it.

21 hours ago, c_major said:

I still don't think CPU is an issue.

Can you share one of the projects that has fade out problem to me? If it's big please try remove the irreverent bits.

There's no particular project that has trouble. It can occur any time I try to do a do a fade, as with the tests I did earlier in this thread. Taking a random video, putting it in the timeline, fading. Sometimes there are artifacts left behind in the exported video, and sometimes there aren't.

I finally learned Resolve enough to do a fade to a clip and it happened there, too. So it's not just VP.

I took a 10 second clip of A New Hope, where the droids arrived on Tattooine, and faded it out. It's definitely the video information being left there because there was a very prominent outline of CP30 left on the screen. I went into my NVIDIA control panel and turned down the gamma setting until it disappeared. So I guess that solves it, but makes me wonder why that video information is even there to see.