Why is the export in the new versions so slow?

Mhred

I have an problem with the newer Versions of Videopad. Since version 6.26 Videopad use just about 30-40 prozent of my CPU by the export. The consequence is that the export of the video takes 3 times longer than in version 6.26, because in version 6.26 Videopad use almost the whole CPU (ca. 95%) By all versions over 6.26 (6.28, 6.29, 6.30, 6.31, 6.32 und 7.00) is the export thus slow. My export settings are: Youtube 1080P, lossles Export, H264: 8000kbps, Audio: 320kbps, Constant 30fps and my CPU is the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G. Operating System: Windows 10 PRO. All the files are on an SSD. 

EDIT: I MEAN CERTAINLY I USE NOT THE LOSSLES EXPORT

Hi

As a comparison I have a similar behaviour...

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500@ 2.2GHz, 2.0 GB RAM
NVIDEA GeForce GT 730.

CPU usage similar here.

1. Switch on PC and open the task manager Util. processeur. Links to network and shows 1-6%  (Fine)
  2. Open VP and wait Shows 1-6%  (Vp is the only program open.)
  3. Add a file to VP. Shows 50% - 54% whilst clip preview screen is loading then 4% when finished and waiting.
  4. Drop the clip to the timeline . Usage 100% while rendering thumbnails and green bar.
  5. Completed and waiting for any editing.  53%
  6. Exporting the clip Usage 100%
  7. Export finished usage drops back to  51%
  8. Close VP and discard work. Usage now around whicle this processes 90%
  9. All finished and back to desktop.  Util processeur monitor now shows a constant 51%...??????

With respect to VP,  I expect 100% usage when VP exports or loads big files. Early versions probably had a different file architecture but the later versions were adapted to process faster but this may be with reference to the time to process the file during preview, editing steps etc.. The speed of export depends largely on the file type, size and resolution chosen in the export parameters and is usage intensive.

However, for me, I don't know what has changed from the initial startup when it showed 1-6%  After closing VP nothing is now running (as at the start) but monitor now shows 51-54%.continuously  when I expected it to drop back to 1-5%. (Anybody know why?)

Nat

@Nationalsolo  I don't think, that this the problem is. Even if I select a video with only one minute and a resolution of only HD that I have not edited, and thus ONLY export without doing anything, Videopad only uses too around 30% -40% by the export. It seems like it's limited ...

And to your case: Which process use so many CPU?

Here I have the very very easy test-project^^  But this is by each project. I've already cut over 15 videos with videopad since version 6.28. For all videos it was the same problem. Version 6.26 or below has always been a remedy to fully utilize the CPU. Could it perhaps be related that if I tick the box  "Use hardware-accelerated video effects (requieres SM 2.0 hardware)", then my CPU is not fully utilized by the export and the export is therefore slow (was already always like that, already 2 years ago). That's why I've always tick not he box. My APU is the vega 11, and it has shader model 6.2. But this is not an big problem, but it's there (just as a note)

My observation, at least on this system, is that exporting is not affected by the "hardware acceleration" setting.

A 13-minute project was tested both ways at 1920x1080 mp4.  ON or OFF - export timing was identical.

Perhaps a NCH developer will weigh in with definitive info on how this has been engineered.

• 5 months later...

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm currently exporting a 20-minute video. Monitoring my CPU usage and it hovers between 2% and 21%. It's taking a long, long time. And the Physical Memory is ever-increasing, starting at around 30% and now up to 50%.

I would love to find a solution, or a way to devote more computing power to the export process.

Hi

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500@ 2.2GHz, 2.0 GB RAM
NVIDEA GeForce GT 730.

VP 7.11.  

CPU usage (continually monitored here) used to be 95-100% when anything was being done and 50% when idle. . However, after shutting down Microsoft Vista Update which was running in the background (as Vista is not being updated any longer) the CPU when idle is now 0 - 2% active.and is about 60% active when exporting from VP. (similar to yours.) 

I don't think this means it is doing the job faster. Presumably, it's going as fast as it can.  But with background jobs running continually creating a startup usage of 50% (like continually trying to download non-existant updates) it was coming to a crawl when it reached 100% with VP working.

Exporting is time consuming but I assume that if CPU usage never reaches 100% it going as fast as it can. If it's continually butting 100% then it's not going as fast as it can.

Nat

• 3 months later...

Not seen here in recent releases.  What version of Videopad is being used?  What are the specs of your PC:  GPU, RAM, CPU, free drive space?

Is export slower now than it was in an earlier version?  What version?  If you share your project, someone will check it out.  It's easy...

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.