Scale and Crop differences

mosslack

I have noticed some differences that I'm not sure are supposed to be. when doing PIP. If I use scale to alter the video I wish to insert into another video, preview will show what is at the cursor position on the timeline. But if I use crop, then the preview does not show what is at the cursor, but a view from the start of the video instead. This makes it much more difficult to use position to put the PIP where I want it to be as I cannot see what will actually appear there. I have to use trial and error method to get it where I want it.

Is this a bug or the way the program is designed to operate? I am using version 6.30.

Hi

It's meant to do this. You have got cursors in different places...see below.

The Clip preview window will show the image at the cursor position in the clip preview window ..not the frame of the cursor on the timeline. The cursors are not linked except in Clip Preview. The Sequence preview window will show the image of the frame of the timeline cursor and if you have got the cursors in a different place the images will be different.   

You have probably moved the sequence line cursor and expected the clip preview cursor to follow it...It won't. It will stay where it was set. (Like at the start of the clip) so the images will not be the same. Moving the clip preview cursor however, will reset the sequence line cursor to the same position and both previews will now be the same. Another way of looking at is..The sequence line cursor "plays" both clips but the Clip preview cursor "plays" just the selected clip, so they can easily be different.

With regards to using a PIP.  Use the Scale effect as it simply reduces or enlarges the whole image in size.(Crop will (obviously cut something off.)  If you want  to position the PIP (the clip in Video Track2) then you can monitor the result if you go into Sequence Preview and watch that image as you adjust the values in the various boxes.....

As an alternative to doing this , particularly if you want to watch where you are dragging the outline box then click the Options tab and select Show dual Previews. You will then see the box on the clip in the left hand pane which you can grab and drag and the result of the manipulation in  right hand sequence pane..(Make sure the sequence cursor goes vertically through both tracks of course.)

Again, instead of moving the overlay by using the value boxes you could simply use the Position effect to place the PIP.

Nat