walthamstowman

Recording on a track while listening to other tracks

Hi,

This must be the most basic numpty question but it's got me stumped at the moment.

If I've recorded an instrument on, say, track 1, how do I then record a second instrument on track 2, while listening to track 1, without also recording again on track 2 what is on track 1?

I don't want to mute track 1 because I want to play along with it.

But every time I record on track 2 at the moment it's also recording again what is already on track 1, thus (obviously) creating a horrible echo effect.

I assume the answer is very simple.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Hello,

Please notice that each individual track has a "Record" button, this button won't start or stop recording, it lets you know if the track is enabled to record when you click the main record button at the bottom left. In this case, record something in track one, then click its record button to disable recording on that track 1, and click the track 2 record button so when you click the main record button, the audio on track 1 only plays and track 2 records.

Hi Gekker,

Thanks for the reply.  But yes I disabled the recording button on track 1 while recording track 2.  The problem I'm having is that track 2 is recording track 1 (again) as well whatever I'm playing on track 2 for some strange reason so that track 2 becomes a combination of tracks 1 and 2.  If I mute track 1 then track 2 is fine but if I play it, it records it.

I just can't understand it!   Your answer confirms that it shouldn't be doing this.  Any thoughts on why it is happening?

Please be aware that muting a track doesn't enable or disable recording on it, only the playback. The first button with a circle is the track's recording control, the second button with an "M" is for muting a track during playback. Also, please make sure you're pressing the "Play" button at the bottom left instead of the main "Record" button

If the program is not doing something it should, please enter a support ticket at http://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

Thanks again Gekker.

Yes, I'd worked out the mute function but when recording I would first enable the little red button within the track box (i.e. track 2) and then, as far as I recall, I did press the main record button.  I'm fairly sure I followed what I saw in a You Tube tutorial but perhaps I've been doing something wrong there.

I wanted to go back in and check it out but my MixPad is being very temperamental this evening and the "play" button has stopped responding for some reason but, in truth, I've started recording with another software package and seem to have managed to record some tracks successfully so I'll continue in that for a bit.

Thanks for responding to me though, much appreciated.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:06 PM, Gekker said:

Hello,

Please notice that each individual track has a "Record" button, this button won't start or stop recording, it lets you know if the track is enabled to record when you click the main record button at the bottom left. In this case, record something in track one, then click its record button to disable recording on that track 1, and click the track 2 record button so when you click the main record button, the audio on track 1 only plays and track 2 records.

If I've recorded an instrument on, say, track 1, how do I then record a second instrument on track 2, while listening to track 1, without also recording again on track 2 what is on track 1?

Hi,

I have this same issue has there been a resolution to the issue ? I have also tried all these recommendations and I still cant record on a second track without it also picking up the first track. I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Stevejl 

Hi Stevejl,

Can you describe step by step how you are recording? 

Please note that if you want to record on a second track while listening to the first track, you must be doing so with headphones. Otherwise the microphone will pick up what the computer is playing.

Regards,

Ben

My problem is related but not the same.

I have recorded a backing on one track and now want to record my voice singing to it.
Trouble is I can't get the app to play track two while recording on track one.
I have speakers plugged into the headphone socket but it can't know that so what's the problem?