Recording on a track while listening to other tracks

walthamstowman

Hi,

This must be the most basic numpty question but it's got me stumped at the moment.

If I've recorded an instrument on, say, track 1, how do I then record a second instrument on track 2, while listening to track 1, without also recording again on track 2 what is on track 1?

I don't want to mute track 1 because I want to play along with it.

But every time I record on track 2 at the moment it's also recording again what is already on track 1, thus (obviously) creating a horrible echo effect.

I assume the answer is very simple.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Hello,

Please notice that each individual track has a "Record" button, this button won't start or stop recording, it lets you know if the track is enabled to record when you click the main record button at the bottom left. In this case, record something in track one, then click its record button to disable recording on that track 1, and click the track 2 record button so when you click the main record button, the audio on track 1 only plays and track 2 records.

Hi Gekker,

Thanks for the reply.  But yes I disabled the recording button on track 1 while recording track 2.  The problem I'm having is that track 2 is recording track 1 (again) as well whatever I'm playing on track 2 for some strange reason so that track 2 becomes a combination of tracks 1 and 2.  If I mute track 1 then track 2 is fine but if I play it, it records it.

I just can't understand it!   Your answer confirms that it shouldn't be doing this.  Any thoughts on why it is happening?

Please be aware that muting a track doesn't enable or disable recording on it, only the playback. The first button with a circle is the track's recording control, the second button with an "M" is for muting a track during playback. Also, please make sure you're pressing the "Play" button at the bottom left instead of the main "Record" button

If the program is not doing something it should, please enter a support ticket at http://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

Thanks again Gekker.

Yes, I'd worked out the mute function but when recording I would first enable the little red button within the track box (i.e. track 2) and then, as far as I recall, I did press the main record button.  I'm fairly sure I followed what I saw in a You Tube tutorial but perhaps I've been doing something wrong there.

I wanted to go back in and check it out but my MixPad is being very temperamental this evening and the "play" button has stopped responding for some reason but, in truth, I've started recording with another software package and seem to have managed to record some tracks successfully so I'll continue in that for a bit.

Thanks for responding to me though, much appreciated.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:06 PM, Gekker said:

Hello,

Please notice that each individual track has a "Record" button, this button won't start or stop recording, it lets you know if the track is enabled to record when you click the main record button at the bottom left. In this case, record something in track one, then click its record button to disable recording on that track 1, and click the track 2 record button so when you click the main record button, the audio on track 1 only plays and track 2 records.

If I've recorded an instrument on, say, track 1, how do I then record a second instrument on track 2, while listening to track 1, without also recording again on track 2 what is on track 1?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have this same issue has there been a resolution to the issue ? I have also tried all these recommendations and I still cant record on a second track without it also picking up the first track. I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Stevejl 

Hi Stevejl,

Can you describe step by step how you are recording? 

Please note that if you want to record on a second track while listening to the first track, you must be doing so with headphones. Otherwise the microphone will pick up what the computer is playing.

Regards,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is related but not the same.

I have recorded a backing on one track and now want to record my voice singing to it.
Trouble is I can't get the app to play track two while recording on track one.
I have speakers plugged into the headphone socket but it can't know that so what's the problem?

• 1 month later...

So frustrated even just reading this thread. No one has explained why you cant record a new track without rerecording the previous tracks over again. Muting is not the answer because if you mute you cannot hear to play or sing along. Ive looked all over for a setting that will allow me to accomplish this most basic feature in track recording and nothing presents itself. Im using mix pad on my android tablet so thats already a high stress situation. Has anyone found a solution yet?

On 12/18/2018 at 2:52 PM, walthamstowman said:

Thanks again Gekker.

Yes, I'd worked out the mute function but when recording I would first enable the little red button within the track box (i.e. track 2) and then, as far as I recall, I did press the main record button.  I'm fairly sure I followed what I saw in a You Tube tutorial but perhaps I've been doing something wrong there.

I wanted to go back in and check it out but my MixPad is being very temperamental this evening and the "play" button has stopped responding for some reason but, in truth, I've started recording with another software package and seem to have managed to record some tracks successfully so I'll continue in that for a bit.

Thanks for responding to me though, much appreciated.

Hi Walt just curious what software did you move to in which you said ypu were having some success?

I find this topic interesting.  I believe it hasn't been answered because there is information missing to be able to answer it.

With my interface (Mackie Big Knob Studio) the way I currently have it set, recording on input 1 to any track works just fine with playback.  Though I can only talk about my own setup with this interface.  On the Mackie Big Knob Studio there's a button to record from inputs or record 2-Track.  If it's on the 2 track setting, then it behaves as everyone is complaining about.  It will re-record anything that is playing back.  To get it to playback without re-recording the track, it MUST be set to Inputs and not to 2-Track.  Though I'm not entirely sure that is the way it's supposed to operate.   I only need a single channel to record at a time, so setting it up to record off inputs works just fine.  Though if I do need to record off 3/4, I'd be screwed or have to contact Mackie's support to get it working right without recording the playback.

With that in mind.  It's possible that the issues from the OP and others commenting  very well may be within the interface and not the software.

• 8 months later...

Only way I found out how to do it with out picking up al the other channels when recording a new one is to set the mic input thing in the settings to vocal enhancement. And for some reason this works for me.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 10:27 AM, BpastorZ said:

So frustrated even just reading this thread. No one has explained why you cant record a new track without rerecording the previous tracks over again. Muting is not the answer because if you mute you cannot hear to play or sing along. Ive looked all over for a setting that will allow me to accomplish this most basic feature in track recording and nothing presents itself. Im using mix pad on my android tablet so thats already a high stress situation. Has anyone found a solution yet?

I only downloaded MixPad a couple of days ago and so have very limited experience with it. I repeated the actions of the OP and found what he stated to be correct.  

When recording on a new track, you need to be able monitor the first track. For some reason MixPad insists on submixing the old track together with the incoming signal.

Iain

On 1/26/2020 at 10:17 PM, Iain said:

The reason for this may be as follows: If you are not using a dedicated sound card but are relying on "internal audio", the mix output can loop back to the input. There must surely be a way to prevent this, but it is not immediately apparent (the user manual is rather skimpy😡)

Even with a sound card, the input should be set to external so that only the new material is recorded.

• 2 months later...

Exact same problem- I've used this program before and could record on a 2nd track while playing the first, without it re- recording the first track a second time which defeats tthe purpose of tracks altogether! I DID NOT have to use headphones either! I uninstalled the program - I bought the license about 9 months ago, and now due to a new version being out ,it will not let me re install without buying a new license- Which hey they want to reduce from 159 to 79- Bullcrap- I paid for the license the first time- is this some kind of software interference to cause peopel to have to upgrade cause its pissing me off!

I FINALLY FIXED IT ON MY LAPTOP!- I went to the Sound Controls and messed with them for days- I found my Iphone had put a phone receiver on sound controls (Playback & the Recording Settings) ait was apparently on, when I hit the button to release  the  cell phone,iI got control of Mix Pad again. Another issue I noticed this caused the audio on my iphone thad stop working as it was on Bluetooth to the laptop and messed it up also! 

Hi all -I sorted it out 

I am using a Behringer U phoria usb connector to my lap top -I connected my headphones to the usb interface and it works perfectly -I can hear the base track coming thru so I can now record trackes while listening to the original track -yeah worked it out 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, nchBen said:

Hi Stevejl,

Can you describe step by step how you are recording? 

Please note that if you want to record on a second track while listening to the first track, you must be doing so with headphones. Otherwise the microphone will pick up what the computer is playing.

Regards,

Ben

alternative- you can Line in instrument to prevent mic hearing playback

• 3 weeks later...

This is for overlapping wave files produced from within a plugin, without recording the other tracks you're listening to.

All within your DAW, make sure that you have two output channels, in waveform 11 this means deselecting treat as stereo channel pair. Then set the default wave output as the one you do not record, I chose output 1. Each track output will be set to default output, ie track 1, so when you want to record set the output on your recording track as track 2'. Now for input, again you will need two, so deselect stereo. In record mode I set input 1 as default and so it says don't make recordings from this device and input 2 as overlay newly recorded clips onto edit. Now select input 2, on the track you are recording.

I think the basic principle applies to most DAWs. Or at least I know it works with the audio device type Windows audio.

Also, you will need to have the plugin loaded on the track you are recording, and then you will have to remove it before playback

Good luck.

• 7 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 3:32 AM, Bootz said:

This is for overlapping wave files produced from within a plugin, without recording the other tracks you're listening to.

All within your DAW, make sure that you have two output channels, in waveform 11 this means deselecting treat as stereo channel pair. Then set the default wave output as the one you do not record, I chose output 1. Each track output will be set to default output, ie track 1, so when you want to record set the output on your recording track as track 2'. Now for input, again you will need two, so deselect stereo. In record mode I set input 1 as default and so it says don't make recordings from this device and input 2 as overlay newly recorded clips onto edit. Now select input 2, on the track you are recording.

I think the basic principle applies to most DAWs. Or at least I know it works with the audio device type Windows audio.

Also, you will need to have the plugin loaded on the track you are recording, and then you will have to remove it before playback

Good luck.

I have the same problem. I'm using a Condensator microphone, and headphones

When i record track 2, it takes everything from both the microphone and track 1, and burst it all into track 2 with full power.

I have seen a couple of answers to this, but i still doint get it. Can someone pleace explain this as if it was to a poor retarded person in easy english? 😀

PS. I have tried chosing the right plugin (Mic in at front panel)...

PS 2: When I press the button for headphones, it says: "You can onlymonitor tracks which are configured to record with ASIOcompatible hardware".?? 

Thank you.