How to unlink text objects from each other?

johnywhy

hi

to keep formatting consistent across text objects, i made one, then copied and pasted to other locations. 

then i edited the text of the new text objects. 

now, all text objects contain the same text, being the text from last text object created!

these text objects are apparently linked to each other. When you edit text in one, it changes the text in the other ones. 

How to unlink these text objects from each other, so they can have different text?

thx

What you probably did is to drag one text clip from the bin and onto the sequence, at which point you copy pasted it multiple times? This means they are all linked to the same original bin clip and will respond to changes to that bin clip accordingly. I believe this is how it works for all clip types.

What you'll want to do instead is to create one text clip in the bin, set the desired formatting, and then copy paste it multiple times in the bin. They will all have the same formatting at this stage but they'll also have the same text, so you'll have to edit each bin clip individually. Once that's done, all that's left is to add them to the sequence.

Hi

• Create a text file and place it on the timeline
  • Right click the thumbnail in the image clip bin and select Copy from the options.
  • Right click the image clip bin and select Paste from the options. Each copy will be the same text but will be separate a separate file.
  • Click each thumbnail now and re-edit the text.
  • Place where required on the timeline.

In effect you are creating new text images which is what you have to do. But this is probably a bit quicker.

Nat

thx, so i cannot change the text after pasting? i have to maintain a collection of text-clips in the bin, even tho' each one is only used once in the sequence?

Ok, but seems extra effort. 

i didn't use the bin at all (that i know of) in steps described in my first post. Just copied and pasted text in the timeline. 

3 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:
  • Create a text file and place it on the timeline
  • Right click the thumbnail in the image clip bin and select Copy from the options.
  • Right click the image clip bin and select Paste from the options. Each copy will be the same text but will be separate a separate file.

what's a "text image"? is that different than a text-clip?

so, when i create a text-clip on timeline, it's automatically added to bin?

thx

Hi

" what's a "text image"? is that different than a text-clip?  "

If text is created it is placed in the clip image bin as an "image" with a transparent background. You can click it and copy it . Done like this the text becomes a copy that can be re-edited without altering the parent "text image". Just right click the image in the bin, it will open up the text editor. Now  alter the text...The parent image from which the copy was made does not change. You can now add the new text to the overlay track

"so, when i create a text-clip on timeline, it's automatically added to bin?"

When you create text it is immediately added to the overlay track (Video Track 2) at the red cursor line position and a copy is place in the image clip bin. Its duration will be the default still image duration as set under options, but you can drag the clip ends in or out on the timeline to shorten or lengthen this.

Nat

Hi

If you Copy/Paste the text image from the timeline to the timeline (Copy choices are..Insert/overwrite/Overlay) it's the same clip/object and any changes made to the text therein will change all the other copies in the same way. i.e. Bin copies as well as timeline copies.

Copy/Paste the text image back to the image bin will create a new text file that can be edited without changing the parent clip. i.e. You will now have new clips in the bin although the text will be the same.

Note: VP won't allow a Copy/Paste from the bin to the timeline.

Nat

• 11 months later...

If the clips have been exported then the text is embedded and cannot be removed.

When creating a project text overlaying video is added on a higher (overlay) track. 

So, if you saved the project, reload it and delete the text clips.

UNlink, via the right-click menu, doesn't usually apply to text clips.

Hi

As Borate says..If you have loaded a clip which already has text then that text cannot be edited....It's part of the clip.

You may however, if it seems convenient simply cover it up with a black bar and add some new text,....

• Load the clip incorporating the text to Video track 1.
  • Create a blank image clip and make it black.
  • Place the black blank clip on the overlay track (Video track 2) so it covers completely the main track clip for the duration of the text.
  • Click the FX for the blank clip and add a Position effect.
  • Drag the position rectangle down so the blank black area  just covers the text. Monitor this placement in the Sequence Preview window.
  • Create a new text clip with the text at the bottom of the screen and place it on Video track 3 above the Blank clip. Use a contrasting colour to black.  .....

ORIGINAL CLIP WITH TEXT

aa.jpg 

The text is part of the clip and cannot be removed unless you crop the frame.

BLACK, BLANK IMAGE POSITIONED OVER TEST

bb.jpg

This now covers the text with a full width black bar. Although this appears a bit like a crop..it isn't as you can add new text

NEW TEXT IN YELLOW ADDED

ccc.jpg

A line of new text can be added to the sequence.

Now....Depending on the width of the original text it might also be possible to omit the use a the black blank image and set a background colour to the new text (one of the options in the text editor,) and make the text the same length and height of the text to be covered....

xx.jpg

In this example the black blank image which formed the background strip has been removed . The background colour of the text has been picked from the sequence preview image using the pipette tool. This gives the text only a background colour closely resembling the image colour around the original text The black bar is not present and the image of the original clip is only affected where the text is located.

Nat