Is Videopad really free for home use?

FTella

Hi,

I downloaded Videopad some days ago as it looked like a quite complete software and it was free for home use. I wanted to make a small video with family photos for a relative who is getting 90 years old. I first tried with some photos, tested transitions and exporting to video file to check if it was actually free; everything looked nice, so I started to make the real video adding several photos, some audios, texts,... I spent like 4-5 days working on this. It let me export to a video file once (as a test), but when I was about to consider it as finished, I tried to export it again to share it with some relatives and it tells me that I have to pay for it as the trial is over and that feature is not included in the trial.

I understand I have made a mistake somewhere and I downloaded the wrong version, but I cannot find another download link apart from the one I used. Is there a different download for home use or is it supposed to work like this? In either case, I think it would be better to inform of those details somewhere.

Thanks!

Fernando

The core program will run, but select features - exports, multiple audio tracks, plugin effects - are restricted after a trial period.

Uninstall, then install this file.  That may buy you some export options - for a time.

If after reinstalling you are still unable to export, try to upload the project as instructed in "Tips for getting help..."  near the top of this forum.                                                                  In consideration for your efforts, someone may come to your aid.

Best to license it.

Thank you for your answers guys,

Thanks also for giving some options to get the project exported.

However, summarizing , then it's not free for home use; it's a limited trial. If you cannot export,... you cannot use it, because that's the point of the program.

I don't think this is the best way to sell the product; maybe it works and you get some sells out of despair but, hands down, the user feels cheated and, at least me, I feel less prone to give money to the people that tries to cheat me.

Maybe it works, but that strategy doesn't feel right, I'm sorry.

Best wishes,

Fernando

Fernando,

I hope that you haven't left.  I ran into exactly the same thing.  But it asked me if I want to "downgrade" to the free version.  There is a way to do this.  Now everytime I start Videopad I have to confirm that I am using it for non-commercial home use.  A small inconvenience.

Go back and try and find that place you can "downgrade".    I haven't run into the restrictions again.  With me it was telling me that I could not export as with you.  Now I can.

Hi, I'm having a problem registering my VideoPad. Yesterday I purchased VideoPad and PhotoPad and downloaded both to my desktop. When paying for them i accidentally put in the wrong email address. The correct one was @gmail.com I put in @mail.com. I contacted support and they sent the regrisation codes to the correct email address.

When I opened PhotoPad on my desktop there was a link to register which I did with no problems. However, when I opened the VideoPad that option wasn't there. So I don't know what I need to do to license it. Could someone please help? Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Android version of Videopad is free. I have used it during my vacation and managed to crop and bring together number of videoclips, also to place a title and music background and export to youtube. I used a tablet and a mobile telephone for export to youtube. It works fine and it is free.

However Windows version has much better GUI and it is much more convenient for use. You may download and install directly from Microsoft Store - there are 2 versions there Videopad (paid) and Videopad Video Editor free (trial version). After trying several times the trial would expire. The best is to pay for it, you may use the promotions coupons up to 50% from NCH web site. 

I have used for many years Adobe Premiere and Videopad GUI is very similar to its old GUI (before version 11). I upgraded to Adobe Premiere 11 however its GUI was a disaster with Windows 7/8/10 and I started looking for a new video editing software. Videopad works with many audio/video formats and it has 4K support. 

• 4 months later...

I'm puzzled with the comment from December 9, 2018 about "downgrade" to free version.  I downloaded VP as Free.  And yes, VP asks me every time if it's for home use only (and I confirm it), but still when I try to export movie, I get choice either to buy or to enter registration number.  Looks I can work on my project, but cannot export movie 😞

Is there really free VP, or it's free for trial period only?

If downgrade trick should work, how to do it?

Thank you

If you do not pay to license and register VP it's trialware.  That said, there is a version that may enable you to continue exporting to some formats.

After a full-featured trial period it should prompt to downgrade to the "lite" version.  If it does not, it may after initiating an uninstall via Windows Programs and Features.

Better still, purchase the program.

Download here.   https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/free.html

On 11.2/2020 TTPheonix replied

Try exporting as avi.