Device error whilst using VideoPad

lizkus

I used the trial version of VideoPad successfully for a couple of days....was impressed so yesterday decided to buy the pro version. Now VideoPad won't work properly. I keep getting 'Device error.Device may be in use by another application'. I can still work with the videos I had copied originally but I can't capture any more. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the drivers and the application but with no luck. I'm using SMI USB grabber. Any help would be appreciated.

To achieve the cleanest uninstall use this tool (the free version).  Take care when deleting registry entries to remove only those associated with the app being uninstalled.

And, of course, it always wise to make a back up, or at least a restore point, prior to taking this action.

Shouldn't Debut BE the alternative to the grabber?  Or is your need something that the grabber can do but Debut cannot?  Check into their forum.

Debut Video Capture Features
  • Record videos as avi, wmv, flv, mpg, mp4, mov and more video formats
  • Capture video from a webcam, network IP camera or video input device (e.g., VHS recorder)
  • Screen capture software records the entire screen, a single window or any selected portion
  • Mouse highlighting spotlights the location of the cursor when using screen recorder
  • Record audio from your microphone and speakers with your video; ideal for recording video conferences and webinars

Debut is the software, as is VideoPad. The grabber is a piece of equipment attached to the VHS (or whatever device one is using) and the computer in order for the software to capture the video. I can perform other functions with Debut such as screen capture etc due to the onboard camera but it's necessary to have the grabber to connect the VHS player to the computer.

Hi

VP 6.30 on a Vista PC (Rather Old!)

My "grabber" is a pretty simple analogue/digital device. As well as "grabbing" directly from the VHS player using the provided software, VP will also (or should also) be able to grab the output. 

I can load VP. Plug in the grabber USB and mike leads and then click into Record/Record Video on the toolbar. This opens the Capture Video screen. The device name should appear in the top box on the right.........Do you see a name in this box?  For my grabber device device it reads UTV2820 Video. If the box remains blank VP won't be "seeing" your grabber and the fault would appear to be the grabber installation. 

Once the VHS player is running, the output should appear in the displayed window. Clicking the red button will start the recording. Normally the grabber flashes red when it is in record mode but with VP this doesn't happen. VP places the resulting output directly into the Video clip bin as well as the designated folder set up under Options.

Originally when I first loaded the drivers and software etc. for the grabber,  I had a compatibility problem and after messing about a bit I found I had to load Windows Media Format9. (No Idea what that is.) After I had done that however it all worked OK.

Nat

Hi Nat

I had already set up the grabber and software just as you suggested and it did work initially....with the free version of VP but not with Debut. Then I paid for the pro version of VP, that's when I started getting the 'device error' message. My grabber device is listed in the top box on the right and grabber drivers all ok in Device Manager. All other settings seem ok. But still can't get past the error message. Tried uninstalling VP and grabber drivers several times in different order with same result. Also tried on different pcs both running Windows10. Can't seem to find Windows Media Format9 anywhere..??

Hi

It was just something that came us as part of the installation.process. As nothing worked the first time when the VHS player ran I uninstalled the grabber software and started again.(I even tried the player on the TV to check it was actually working) If the device is being recognized by VP as it seems to be try checking the grabber settings. Is there a viewer/grabber program on the installation disc and does this work?  Are you running this whilst trying to connect it to VP?

The Device error message will appear in red in the VP record screen if you have the grabber software already working in the background. Make sure you are only running VP and no other application that uses the device.

Nat