Limit on number of sequences or their size?

Perk

I have a raw footage video file about 2hrs in length (11.6Gb) that I’m trying to edit into a DVD with chapters.  I’ve imported the file into the Video File bin.  For sequence 1, I dragged the video file onto the timeline and then split it into 2 clips.  The first clip is roughly the first 5 minutes of footage.  Next, I created an empty sequence, then “cut and pasted” the second clip from sequence 1 into sequence 2.  In sequence 2, I repeated the process of splitting off the first 5 minutes and “cut and pasted” the remainder into Sequence 3. Same process for sequence 4.  When I repeat the process for sequence 5, the program aborts.

I was running 6.24.  I paid the upgrade charge for 6.30, hoping that might resolve the problem, but no.  Is there a limit to the number of sequences?  Is there a better approach to achieve my objective?

If you have a long video that might introduce editing delays you could possibly work like this...

• Place full length clip in the timeline
  • Move cursor to end of your first section. Split and drag section to the clip bin. Timeline will shorten
  • Move cursor to end of next section, Split and drag second section to the clip bin.
  • Repeat until all the sections are in the bin.

You can now edit each section individually as different clips and have them in different orders. As the clip images are all the same you should be able to use Clip preview right click option and  "Use this Frame for the Clip Image"  to set the clip bin thumbnails in order distinguish them.

Nat

Thanks Nat.  Good suggestion!  Not long after I posted my question, I decided to just start over with a clean project and repeat my original process, but making some notations along the way to help with diagnosing the problem.  As luck would have it, I made it all the way through the raw file and was able to create 25 sequences.  At that point as a precautionary move, I saved the project file and then did the File \ Export All Sequences...  I figured if I ran into the problem again, I could now pull in the individual sequence / clip files.  Botton line, problem solved and I'm moving forward.

Greg

If the program aborted it could be because of too much memory usage. A classic tell-tale sign is if the program crashes without displaying the 'VideoPad has encountered an abnormal exception' message.

One way to reduce memory usage on a large, complex project is to reduce the preview resolution (Options on Home Tab - > Display -> Preview Format).

With that said we have improved memory usage somewhat in v6.31 (yet to be released).

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2018 at 4:02 AM, Perk said:

I was running 6.24.  I paid the upgrade charge for 6.30, hoping that might resolve the problem, but no.  Is there a limit to the number of sequences?  Is there a better approach to achieve my objective?

A side note: On PAYING for a build upgrade. My 6.10 Masters edition, purchased in May of this year, crashed today - and asked me to install the 6.32, and also prompted me to pay for the new build, incorrectly claiming that my key code was for a 5.xx version.

Why are you and I being prompted to pay again for a version of software that we already purchased? I think this is another major bug, but for a different department. I contacted validation support already, but your post makes me think this is possibly a bigger problem.