Problems Inserting Clips ?

Montezuma

I have just downloaded, and installed, VideoPad Video Editor Free, and I am evaluating it with a view to possible purchase.

I have used the old, original version of Windows Moviemaker on my old stand-alone XP desktop PC for many years, but now the PC has finally blown up so I am looking at alternatives to Moviemaker, which will run, on my laptop, in Windows 10.

I have installed Videopad on the Windows 10 laptop, and have put together a test video, however I have come across an annoying problem that is, hopefully, due to something I am doing wrong, rather than something within the programme itself.

I created one video track and one audio track.

In the Timeline mode, I tried to insert a video clip between two existing clips in the video track, the audio track split at the same point, and the split is the same length as the new video track clip. This is annoying.

I locked the audio track, and inserted the new clip again. This time the new clip replaced the clip that should have been following it. This is also annoying as it means that all the subsequent clips must be moved along the Timeline, a gap created, and the new clip inserted into the gap.

If I try the same thing in Storyboard mode; with the audio track unlocked the gap appears again, and if I lock the audio track then inserting the video clip just creates a second video track on which the inserted clip appears. This is also annoying.

I appreciate that there are ways around this issue, but it would be nice if a clip could be inserted into a sequence, and all the existing clips just moved along the Timeline without cutting the audio track.

Why is this an issue, for me, you may ask?

I am trying to synchronise various image changes with certain points in the audio track, so suddenly having a gap in the audio track is a pain!

Is this the way it is supposed to work or am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be welcome.

I have scanned this forum, and can find no mention of this issue; I can not ask for tech help, as that is only available after payment is made, and if this is the way that the programme is meant to work then I probably won’t be purchasing it.

I appreciate that, Borate, but the audio tracks in question will be in lots of separate segments by the time I have done the amount of fiddling and diddling that is usually involved in one of my YouTube productions.

I only noticed this issue when suddenly there were glitches in the audio track caused by overlaps that had inadvertently been created.

As I said, it would be nice if clips could just be inserted into the video track without affecting the audio track, ………………… is there no way around this?

The sort of thing I am creating can be viewed herer, if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-X9MPJqG0

Lots of changes to the video; overlaps and transitions of various types and lengths are used throughout. It takes me just as long to put the video together as it does to make the audio track in the first place.

But, it's all good fun, init?

It would be nice if clips could just be inserted into the video track without affecting the audio track

Agree.  If the audio track is locked, insertions would logically affect only the video track, and ripple subsequent clips/images.

It's a good bet that the developers will address the issue.  Improvement of the program is continuous.

it would be nice if clips could just be inserted into the video track without affecting the audio track, ………………… is there no way around this?

There is a way. General speaking, if you want to separate the video tack and the audio tack, you should Unlink them.

Edit: It seems like we can do better with the locking behavior. I've filed it as a bug.

Hi

My browser doesn't support your example video format unfortunately so I can't see exactly what you are after but unless I am barking up the wrong tree can you not simply place the the new clip on the overlay track (muted,)  move it to the desired position and trim it?  This won't create gaps in the main audio or require anything on the main track to be shifted. Anything you insert will logically move the clips and their sound apart.

Nat

That’s odd, Nat-Solo, (for a minute I thought you were Napoleon Solo from the old TV programme).

I use Edge, Internet Explorer, Opera and Firefox at various times, it’s only a standard YouTube track, and it plays in all of them?

Regardless, I am new to this software and haven’t figured everything out yet.

Overlay track? Is that just a second video track or is it something totally separate?

If it is just a second video track then I’ll give it a go.

Like this? With the audio track locked, place a new clip into the second video track, and then, trim it to an approximate length and then drop into the first video track at the required place, between two existing clips?

C-Major, old chap, thanks for the suggestion about Unlink, but I can’t seem to find that option ?

All advice suggestions and assistance are most gratefully accepted.

I just wish that the old XP version of Moviemaker would run in Windows 10, and that it was still available.

"Overlay" refers to a higher numbered track, whose video takes precedence over lower numbered tracks, so there may be no need to move clips to track 1.

I.e.:  If you have images on track 1 and overlay others on track 2, only track two will be seen, unless certain effects are applied such as transparency.

Right-click a clip in the timeline - either its video or audio - and you will see the UNLINK option.

Hi

Exactly!  The main track...Video track 1 and Audio track1  contain the clips that make up your main project line. (like MM) and , as noted if you insert a clip at any point into Video track 1 (on a join or otherwise,) it will split both the video and the audio, pushing the right hand clips with their sound along the track and creating a break. They will stay in synch but your inserted clip will cause a break in the film and its soundtrack so to speak.

Placing the new clip onto Video track 2 however will not do this. It will overlay the visuals on Track1 where its position can be adjusted. Its sound track will get placed on Audio track 2 (At this point both audio tracks will mix and play together.) The new clip on Video track 2 however will "cover up" the clip on Video track1 and will play in in its place. If you don't want the sound for the overlaid clip on Audio track 2 to mix you can  mute it or unlink and deleted it so only Audio track 1 is heard.

You will now have a soundtrack on Audio track 1 with no breaks in it and a matching video on Video track 1. When the sequence is previewed you will have cut-aways of the clip on the overlay track but no breaks in the audio. All tracks above Video track1 are overlay tracks. Clips placed on these will overplay clips below them. You can use fade and other effects etc on the overlay clips in the same way as the main track.

Working like this you may not need to unlink any of your sound and except for very complex projects may not even need to use more than 2 or 3 tracks.

Nat

That all seems to make sense, chaps, but Unlink is still elusive.

I am assuming that if I right click on a video clip and Unlink does not appear in the menu,, then the clip/track is not linked in the first place?

This begs the question; how does one link tracks, and what exactly does linking achieve ?

Sorry to be a dim wazzok, but getting info from knowledgeable fellows in this forum is a lot easier than spending hours trawling through 'Help", or searching for answers that do not exist !

If no LINK/UNLINK choice is seen in the right-click menu, then the clip is does not contain video with accompanying audio.

For clips that do have A/V, UNlink and RESTORE LINK should be available.   http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/editing_linkedgrouped.html

One might want to unlink a file in order to work with audio or video independently - with certain limitations - or perhaps delete clip audio and drop in a music track instead.

Hi

" This begs the question; how does one link tracks, and what exactly does linking achieve ? "

Right clicking on the clip, either in the clip bin or on the timeline will (or should) bring up a menu with Unlink from Audio option. Right clicking the Audio track for the clip will (or should) bring up a menu with Unlink Video option. Selecting these options will allow the user to separate the Video from the Audio (or vice versa) making them independent and will allow either to be positioned differently on the timeline or independently deleted. If they are already unlinked the options become Restore linked clip.(except for the clip bin which remains the unlink option which must be an oversight.)

A similar option to Link/Unlink is Group. Link/Unlink (AFAIK) only works on individual clips meaning you can't grab a bunch of clips and un-associate the sound. Grouping a series of clips effectively makes them behave as a single unit and any unlinked track is unnaffected meaning if you move the clip group the unlinked sound remains where it is. (This can lead to complications so it's best avoided.)

" ...between a clip that is inserted which already has audio content, and an inserted image clip to which one adds an audio track. "

Inserting a clip with sound is just that...A space is made in the timeline audio and video tracks and the new clip (with its audio) is placed in the space. There are no gaps. An image clip (no audio) can be inserted in exactly the same way but as there is no audio associated with an image the sound track will now have a gap in it. You can fill this gap with a separate audio clip..adjusting the duration of the image clip if necessary but the audio, being from a different source cannot be LINKED to the image clip. All is not lost though as they can be GROUPED which makes them behave as though they were linked.(Right click both clips with the SHIFT key pressed and take the Group Selected Clips option.)

Nat

• Montezuma changed the title to Problems Inserting Clips ?

Just before I disappear into the setting sun, I will report on my evaluation of Videopad. I finally got the hang of shuffling the various clips and setting the effects and transitions.

The completed project ran nicely, and looked just as good as anything that I had previously put together in Windows Movie Maker.

Then I exported it as a video file. The process took a long time, when compared with Movie Maker, about 20 minutes. 

The resultant video was very poor, lots of 'stuttering' during the transitions and effects, and some audio glitches.

I tried again exporting into a different format. It was no better, and actually took even longer.

Then my "free" period expired and all the export options disappeared.

The upshot ?

I will not be purchasing it on the off-chance that the purchased version will export satisfactorily.

Sad, but there you have it.

Now, what programme can I try next ?

I have had a bash at the process outlined. It was a bit of a pain in the backside.

I was unsure about the Zip process, I had no idea what OneDrive was, and I couldn't find the clipboard, as you can see I am no Geek.

I have managed to create a link, but I will PM it to Mr. Borate, …………… if I can figure out how to do that ?

?

Hmmmmmmmm, ………………..

Oddly enough, I uninstalled the programme, and re-installed the free version from a different source. It is even an older version I think.

So I have some more export options, which I did not expect  ! ?

I may have figured out what's going on.

Using Moviemaker on XP, when exporting the finished project, Moviemaker automatically selected the best 'export' options for the finalised video.

BUT

……. using Videopad, one needs to sort the wheat from the chaff, i.e. I have to select the best/optimum options with regard to:- Bit rate, Display size, Aspect ratio and Frames per second.

Selecting the absolute minimal options in each case, the video exported much quicker. Although the quality of the resultant  video was not brilliant, and some of the text 'overshot' the screen, (which I can rectify, I think) it worked. Magic !

So now I will just bugger about with these options and see if I can find one that exports a set of video/audio images which are of a sufficiently decent quality to upload to my YouTube Channel.

So, Mr. Borate, am I on the right track, or am I talking out of my bottom ?

Your opinion (or anyone else's) will be most welcome.

Nice work, Geoff.  Exported without a hitch here.  Removed an :08 gap during the finger pointing - easily spotted in Storybook mode.

Yes, text scope should be reduced, though the player may be able to compensate.  Bring up each text clip in the editor, select all text and then reduce the font size.

Videopad is more sophisticated than Movie Maker.  Output resolution choices include "auto" which, in this case, was 3000.

Chose instead to export an Mp4 at 1920 X 1080P, which took about eight minutes.

The problems that you encountered hint that the PC may not be up to handling resource intensive video editing.  VP is not at fault.

-- Lonnie never did reveal whether his chewing gum lost its flavor on the bedpost overnight. --

Cheers, Borate,

It looks like my laptop is part of the problem. It ain't man enough, methinks.

The version that you made available to me was a bit 'glitchy' in parts, but a lot better than my original efforts.

Until I get a better computer, I would have to lower the various rates, sizes, frames and ratios a bit further to achieve a decent finished video.

Thanks. for your help.

I know what's what now, and I know it's my laptop at fault and nowt to do with the programme.

I'll stick with the free version for now and start saving my pocket money towards a new PC of some description.

If I upload any finished version of this video to YouTube, I'll send you a link.

PS

If you know about bedposts and chewing gum, you must be 'middle-aged' at least ??? ?

I have just tried it on my Windows 10 Notebook and it ran perfectly.

So I guess there is sommat wrong with the Laptop ?

Not surprising really, it is ancient, about 10 years old, and has suffered many indignities, having been through the mill from Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, to Win 10.

It is an old Acer Aspire 5738, with a 32 bit X64 based processor, Intel core 2Duo CPU (T6400) @ 2.0Ghz, with 4Gb RAM (3Gb useable).

It seems to do most things well enough, albeit somewhat slowly; I would have thought that it could have handled the video in question, but, obviously not ?

Anyway, I will delete the data from one drive, later today, and would be grateful if you would make sure that your copy of the video is not available for public perusal.

Thanks for all your help on this issue, I am much enlightened on the capabilities of this programme, and will probably buy it, ….. eventually.