Reordering Sequences

VideoManA

Above the timeline, click the + on a sequence tab to create a new blank sequence.

In the bin (top-left), click the sequence tab.  Drag the sequences, in any order, to the new sequence on the timeline.

The sequences can be rearranged on the timeline as well.

Hi

Every time you create a sequence of your current completed timeline it is placed in the Sequence bin and numbered. It will in effect be a type of "export". The timeline is cleared when you do this in order for you to create a subsequent sequence and so on. At any point the clips in the sequence bin can be added back the timeline like any clip and in any order; even inserted into one of its companions. Note however that the sequence soundtrack will be a fusing of the soundtracks used to make the sequence and will not appear as a waveform, but it will be present.

If you mean re-arrange your sequences in the bin, then simply right click on the sequence  and select Rename from the options that come up. VP will than re-arrange the bin in alphabetical order. (or number order)

Nat

Thanks, but I believe that's not at all what I'm after.  I want to rearrange the sequences, but the methods you're suggesting, if I'm understanding this, are to pull out and add back in clips to the sequences or to rename the sequences so they go in some order, both of which are unnecessarily hard and time consuming.  I'm also having another issue whereby I can't seem to export multiple sequences as separate video files.

In the end, this is what I'm trying to do.  I'm putting together a digital tutorial.  It has various videos that represent sections of the lecture.  They're not to be one long video, but broken out.  Each has its own video and audio files.  I put them in VideoPad, add them to the library and place them into separate sequences named after the main lecture points.  Then, I want to be able to export each as a separate video file.  I can't think of how else to get this done in this software, so it's very possible that either I don't understand VideoPad well enough or it can't be done.

Add files to the bin (library);  drag the desired files to the timeline and add effects, transitions, etc.  Make as many timeline sequences as you like.

EXPORT an active sequence as a VIDEO FILE and give it a name (default is "untitled").

ONLY that active sequence - the one chosen by clicking its tab above the timeline - is exported.

As for rearranging, there's no need to "pull out and add back clips."  Simply create a new sequence by clicking the + sign on a sequence tab above the timeline.  The sequence will be blank.  Then in the bin, click the SEQUENCE tab.  All sequences are listed.

As instructed above, drag sequences to the timeline in the desired order.  If necessary they can be rearranged on the timeline as well.

Remember,  each individual sequence in the bin is a new single clip, containing all the edits/clips/effects/etc. that you edited.  It cannot be deconstructed back into the original individual clips.

And, as Nat noted, the audio track may not appear in the timeline, but it's there.

Borate,

Hey.  As for the export, that's what I'm already doing.  One by one, which is why I want to be able to do it without having to go one by one.  You did clarify for me that the sequences can be dragged onto the timeline.  What I can't understand is whether or not that helps with exporting individual videos for each sequence...is that what you're saying?

Hi

I think the word "Sequence" may mean different things to different users and so can be confusing. NCH call the contents of the timeline  a "Sequence"  and I suppose it is in a literal sense, but they also refer to the converted timeline as a "Sequence" which it no longer what it is as it now consists of a single clip.

I prefer to call the timeline contents the "Project"  consisting of clips contained in the clip bin and which is the video you are currently editing. Once a section of the project is completed it can be converted to a "Sequence" and placed into the Sequence bin, either to be exported at a later time or used like a clip to be incorporated into a subsequent project.

So you could work in this way...

1. Create a project that has a section in it and when finished export it. Then create project 2 and export it etc. i.e. create a video for each section of your lecture.
  2. Create a project of section 1 and place it in the sequence bin, Create a project of section 2 and place it in the sequence bin etc. Reload each in turn in any order to the timeline and complete if needed and then export it. Do the same for the remaining clips in the sequence bin.

You can't export individual sections of the timeline without separating them out. For exporting you have to go one by one. It's the timeline contents each export.

Nat

Thanks, but what I'm learning from this is what I suspected.  It's way too much work to use this software.  I can find alternatives that do what I'm after without all the time wasted working around software oddities.  I'll make up the cost just in time alone.

Create multiple sequences above the timeline by clicking on the + sign in a tab.
Edit each one of your lectures under its own sequence tab (or load a saved project that contains multiple lectures/sequences).

When ready to export them all as individual files, click the FILE menu|EXPORT ALL SEQUENCES.  One, two, three - they are queued and exported en masse.  VP will name them "untitled 1, 2, 3" or you can rename each.

Or use this alternate method...

On the menu bar, click EXPORT

Click sequence tab #1 on the timeline
Click VIDEO in the toolbar
In the "name" field type in "1" or any unique name <enter>

Click sequence tab #2 on the timeline
Click VIDEO in the toolbar
In the name field type in "2" or any unique name <enter>

Etc.,  No need to wait between these steps:  exports will be queued and completed in order.

Hi Borate

I have 4 sequences waiting in the sequence bin + the next blank dummy. I tried your Green sandwich/File/Export all Sequences...but this only brought up an inoperative Export video window with the three options that don't work. Been there before of course. e.g. using Export Wizard!). It's about time this cul de sac was made to work or removed. (VP Professional 6.24) Exporting separate sequences as separate files  in one go  would be a useful feature if it could be made to work. I tried the other Export tabs but the option to Export all Sequences was not present on these.

The second option of using the Sequence 1 x tabs etc. to load the sequences back to the empty timeline is at best cumbersome and not intuitive. In fact I found that when I tried this the sequence exported straight away but also removed the file from the sequence bin leaving just the clapperboard icon. It seemed no better than exporting each section in the first place. 

I noticed a few anomalies here like having placed a sequence on the timeline using the sequence N x tab, deleting the clip on the timeline also deletes the clip in the sequence bin.That's not correct. I am using a single clip here and so its easily remedied, but it could be very annoying if the sequence in question had been a complex construction that had been "saved"  The other thing I noticed was that the clapperboard clips remained numbered in the bin Sequence 1....etc. (6 in total) and also remained listed over the timelime. When I loaded a new clip to the clip bin and then dropped it onto the empty timeline and created a new sequence (Sequence 7x) it appeared in the sequence clip bin as sequence 4!  (In a repeat it came up as Sequence 3!)  It's a bit untidy to say the least.

Nat

Hummm.  Two things observed:  each sequence must have a unique name or number,  and sometimes the EXPORT ALL SEQUENCES option is unavailable.  In that case a reload of the program and sequences has enabled it.

The process did work well with three small video files, each loaded to their own sequence.  No renaming attempt was made in this case.  The tab alternative was tested several times.  With that method, there's no reloading, as each sequence contains video.  Tabs are clicked in turn and exported, using the VIDEO button on the toolbar.

Never have run across a case where deleting the entire timeline content deleted files in the bin.  Created a sequence 5, then dropped sequence 1 into it.  Then deleted the material on the timeline.  Sequence 5 remained in the bin as a clapperboard titled "sequence 5."  Same result when I dropped sequence 2 into sequence 4.

When export-all files are renamed, they still appear as "Untitled (new name)."  That's apparently a bug that has been filed.

Hi Borate

It might be interesting to note that having created sequences using the Sequence N x + tab which clears the timeline each time as is normal, clicking any of the Sequence N x tabs does NOT load back the sequence, it loads back the clips that made it up. Deleting or editing the timeline will now alter (or even delete) the "saved" sequence leaving a clapperboard which could be important. 

I was using testing with single MP4 clips to create the sequences and even though it seemed I was loading the "Sequence"  using the Sequence N x tab, VP actually loaded the clip from the Clip bin. (The soundtrack appeared.) Clearing or deleting the timeline now  unticked the clip in the clip bin  but also removed the sequence from the sequence bin leaving the clapperboard. I don't think it should do this.

Nat

Don't believe a sequence in of itself can be "saved."  A project can, of course, which rebuilds the seqence.

Loaded a VPJ flle, then deleted everything on the timeline.  The green check marks vanished, but no bin files did.  The SEQUENCE in the bin was a clapperboard.

Strikes me that this behavior is correct.

The only instance where the audio track is not shown is when a bin sequence is added to a different sequence.  But the above described behavior still applies.

Hi Borate

" Don't believe a sequence in of itself can be "saved." 

I think you may be correct. When I referred to the sequences as  "saved" I meant that the timeline contents were now in the sequence bin as a single clip but perhaps this is not actually the case, I don't know. But with the timeline now empty you can click on the Sequence N x tab and what comes back into the timeline are the original clips from the clip bin, not the "saved" sequence which is what I might have expected. It obviously just recreates the timeline as it was before the sequence was "saved".  At this point the Sequence bin still holds the "saved" sequence. Deleting  the timeline now un-ticks the clips in the clip bin (logical) but also deletes the sequence in the bin which I think is incorrect. However in some respects it might be considered logical but I would like to see the sequence bin contents relisted correctly after deletions and that includes the references over the timeline.

Nat