Why can't I load m4a files anymore?

JeanneFick

Hello JeanFick, I have tested the program using a sample m4a file and have no issues opening it with Scribe. Is this issue you are reporting happening to all the m4a files you load or just with some. Are you getting all the m4a files from the same source? Have you tried using different m4a files from a different source?  Maybe the encoder used to create the files is not fully compatible with the program or the encoders you have installed on the computer.

Hi, Chris. I have been getting these M4a files from the same person for years. I've started using a new PC, hence the purchase.... again.  Every time I get a new PC (which I do almost yearly), I buy a new Express because I can't just keep using the one I already purchased, which is ridiculous!  Since this new version, I can't load m4a files. Please don't talk to me about encoders and all sorts of other crap.  Please just make it work.  The error says that the format is not supported by Express Scribe. I purchased this, and it's not cheap. I expect it to work!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have used the free version for years now and had no problem using M4A files.  The last time I used it was mid November with no issues.  Today I am trying to upload a M4A files and I get a pop up window saying M4A file format - Pro Version Required and prompts me to purchase.  

I tried restarting the program several times and I still get the pop up saying Pro version required. 

I am hoping someone can reply to this

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to load an M4A file today and all I get is one second of it.  I don't know what to do because the person who sent it to me gets the full file of over an hour in her Express Scribe.  I've tried converting to mp3, reloading the m4a several times and still the 1 second.  It downloads fully in my audio player but that doesn't have a footpedal.  I'm at a loss.  Help!

• 1 year later...

I have been having the same problem with m4a files as well. I own the pro version. This problem occurred suddenly and they load with only one or two seconds. Consistently. Regardless of source. I work with audio files from a variety of clients and a variety of sharing methods. It is definitely the file TYPE, not the file source. These are becoming more common so I need the issue to be resolved ASAP. 

• 4 weeks later...

Very simple solution that works for me, just change the extension from .m4a to .mp3. That usually solves the problem for me. But on the real, this is something that I've noticed in the last one month or so.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:22 PM, Jessica C said:

I have been having the same problem with m4a files as well. I own the pro version. This problem occurred suddenly and they load with only one or two seconds. Consistently. Regardless of source. I work with audio files from a variety of clients and a variety of sharing methods. It is definitely the file TYPE, not the file source. These are becoming more common so I need the issue to be resolved ASAP. 

Yep. I have seen that too. In the last month or so. I normally just change the .m4a extension to .mp3 and it loads just fine.

• 3 months later...

Having the same problem this morning on the purchased pro version on a rush job I really need to start right this very minute.  Loads with only two seconds.  Adding mp3 to the end of the file name doesn't help, and I have no idea how to actually change the extension.  Plays just fine in my PC's Music program, but of course, that doesn't work with my foot pedal.  None of my other transcription programs can even see it.  HELP!

• 2 months later...

I am awaiting advice too as my paid-up V 9.25 doesn't work on anything else except WAV and I have yet to hear back from helpdesk since they kept telling me to delete/reload with no success. I presume I get a refund for a faulty product but this hasn't happened either. A way round it is to get an older version of ES (I was quite happy with an older one) I have asked helpdesk to arrange this so fingers crossed they come through. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem.  I have just bought a new PC and followed NCH instructions to re-install my old version of Express Scribe Pro 8.26 onto the new machine.  Registration was successful and the program works fine but now ES doesn't even see my m4a files any more.  However, I have found that if I drag the m4a files from their folder and drop them onto the ES startup icon they load into the software no problem and I can play them.  It's a workaround but very irritating to have to do this extra step.