How to delete interval from video?

pstein

Assume I loaded a *.mp4 video into VideoPad.

Now I want to delete a certain interval part (e.g. an ad) from inside this video.

How do I tell  Videopad where I want to set the startpoint and where the endpoint and how to finally delete this marked intervall?

Hi

Simplest way.  Play the clip to the start of the Advert (or drag the red cursor there) and Split the timeline. You can use the scissor icon that appears next to the red cursor line.

Now drag or play  the cursor line to the end of the Advert and Split the timeline again. The advert will now lie between the two split points.

Right click the Advert and from the menu that appears select Delete. This will delete the Advert and leave a gap.

Right click the Gap and select Close the Gap.  The timeline will readjust without the Advert leaving a join.

As Borate says there are other ways but this is the simplest. ("Advert" in this description means the section you wish to remove)

Nat

@Nationalsolo

Thats perfect. Thank you.

But how do I afterwards save the resulting video with a MINIMUM of re-encoding?

From my point of view the part before the deleted part and after the first keyframe after the deleted part shouldn't (need no) be re-encoded.

The crirtical step would be to insert a new keyframe at the cut point and only the successive part until the next keyframe must be re-encoded.

For the re-encoding the parameters of the remainign video should automatically be adopted without manual intervention.

How can I achieve this?

Can I do this WITHOUT defining a new project?

Peter

Hi

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to here by "keyframe". The process of deleting a section of the timeline as above (or using other methods) does not require the creation of  keyframes which are a different thing entirely.

I think you might be referring to the rendering process that occurs after you have done an edit. A simple split and section removal usually only takes a few seconds and VP handles this. Note that the original clip is not actually cut, editing with VP is non destructive to your original footage.  The timeline displays what one might refer to as a "running copy" Removing a section means the program has to calculate and save the position of the  cuts and then recopy the thumbnails of the following section and their positions etc to those places in order to regenerate the timeline.

The speed at which this is done as shown by the green progress bar over the timeline  is largely dependent on the processing speed and graphics capability of the individual PC and to a great extent also the resolution setting of the preview screen as it seems that thumbnails are smaller and faster to regenerate..

After the edit the resulting timeline (apart from now having a join) remains exactly the same  resolution as it was before the section was removed.  (The export resolution of your video is set when you output it and is not related to the resolution set within VP for previewing and editing.)

If you want to save the project either before or after the edit (or both) you can simply right click the File button and select Save Project File As and then use a new name each time. This will create a .vpj file and takes just a second or two. The resulting .vpj file is a text file  that VP can  use to recreate your work if needed.

Hope this helps. If not please come back.

Nat

Ok, if I want to save the current video as shown in the timeline I have to Export it?

This would avoid the creation of a project file.

Correct?

How do I tell VP to save the video "in the same folder as the original, but with a unique number appended"?

How do I change the default export folder if I want a fix folder (instead of the option above)?

Hi

"Ok, if I want to save the current video as shown in the timeline I have to Export it? This would avoid the creation of a project file. 
Correct?"

Well, that is correct.......If you don't want to create a project file (.vpj file) which only takes a few seconds, you would need to export it. This can take much longer....minutes to hours depending on length and complexity of the project and the export format chosen and if you are doing this as an interim thing e.g. to save your work when it is at a particular stage, then (IMHO) it's not the way to go. Generally one exports the work when all the editing is completed.  For this the destination folder and format can be set in the export details window.

However....Do you have a reason to not create a regular project file until your editing is complete?

As Borate has mentioned, repeated Save Project File As will create .vpj files  that you place in a folder of your choice and which  VP can use to regenerate your project at those saved stages. Doing this at regular intervals and using different names or numbers at each save will allow you to revert to the project when it was at a different earlier stage.  e.g.  Project Edit1.vpj   Project Edit2.vpj    Project Edit3.vpj.   etc. (Note that using the Save Project option will overwrite the .vpj file each time using the same name and so you will only have one. There is no option to change the name.

Nat