Reversed Clip Not Working (RESOLVED)

Miggy

Reversing clips does not seem to be working for me, but I figure I must be doing something wrong.

I click right on a video clip and select to play it in reverse. It flashes through the clip like it's updating, but video plays normal as if nothing was applied.

Same result if I check the option when changing the play speed (which does work).

Hi

Using VP 6.21  with  Beta top right of toolbar just left of the Thumbs Up icon  Version number is bottom left corner of screen.This version plays clips in reverse OK.

Right click the clip on the timeline and select Reverse Clip . or use Change Clip Speed and tick the Play Clip in Reverse  box.

Note: I use the lowest 16:9 preview resolution (512 x 288) as thumbnail rendering etc. is faster with no Building preview messages) Normally the first time clip is reversed there is a pause for a second or so with the timeline greyed then reversed clip comes up. After this initial rendering with the cache presumably updated, the reversing of the clip is pretty instantaneous.

Speed changes seems normal here (Clip reversed or not)

Nat

Okay, did some testing and here's what I found out.

I first took a different, random video clip and that indeed did reverse properly. Then I tried to reverse the video I was originally working with, and that still will not reverse.

Here are the specific circumstances: I have a video clip showing a flyover of three different cities. I trimmed out the third segment and wanted to reverse that, so it was flying toward the camera instead of away from it. I have a text overlay, typewriter, displaying the city names along with audio clips down in the audio track for the typewriter sound.

Opening that project, then separating out the third segment will not let me reverse it. However, I deleted everything from the project except the video clip, then it will reverse. I ended up just exporting that to its own separate video file and then importing it back into the project.

Is that just weird, or was I violating some "reverse clip" rule?

I'm not sure that's the issue, as I have it set to automatically clean out the cache folder every time it exits.

I forgot to mention before that it did this while using 6.20 earlier in the week, and still the same after the 6.21 upgrade (which was a clean install, btw).

No problem, c_major,

I never know if it's just my inexperience or if there's a real issue, so that's why I ask.

After some more testing I have found out my specific issue seems to be because the clip I was trying to reverse was one that I had performed a time speed change on, and right clicking to reverse the clip was conflicting with the check box option of reversing the clip from the speed change dialogue box.

Hi Miggy

Normally you can reverse a clip from either prompt. If you reverse it from the right click menu option the box gets ticked in the speed change section. If you reverse the clip from the change speed dialogue box the menu option gets ticked. You can un-reverse the clip from either prompt by un-ticking. However I found a possible bug with this if you have a transition at the end of the un-reversed clip.

Nat

• 1 year later...

When I click reverse and then play the segment, it will only partially play, then stop.  I also thought about the preview getting hung up, but when I went to export, even on a 10 second segment, it stopped exporting.

jl