Clips don't snap properly

Ivan187

I've encountered another issue while using VideoPad 6.21. Whenever I add another clip on the timeline until it snaps to the desired position, the clip lands a little bit off. How off it lands, depends on the zooming. The more I zoom the timeline out, the more off the clips get placed from the snap position. When the timeline is completely zoomed out, I try overlaying or placing a clip in the snap position, but it lands a full 3 seconds later in the timeline.

This doesn't happen when the timeline is completely zoomed in, nor when I use the "Add to Sequence at Cursor" option, but I always got used to dragging and dropping the clip into the timeline, so it's a little inconvenient.

As the new clip is dragged within the timeline thumbnail area, individual clips will be selected (grayed).  A white line with chevrons should appear at each clip margin.  Drop there.

If adding to the last clip, a broken white line denotes the end of the sequence.  This is seen here no matter how much the timeline is expanded horizontally.

Hi

How are you adding the clip?  Here, using the right click menu and Place on sequence at End works correctly.Pulling the clip to the right and releasing it, the snap back appears normal. Pulling to the right with ALT pressed leaves it in place with a gap. Dragging it back it snaps up correctly (or closing the gap.) Zooming in allows one to drag with ALT to create a small gap. With it zoomed out the gap end up larger. Snapping seems OK here (VP 6.21 (Says Beta on top toolbar)

Adding a clip using drag and drop the snap seems OK. Adding the clip from clip preview also seems to work OK.

Nat

Hi

I think I see what you mean..(or its similar.....)

If you have two clips on the timeline joined up and then drag a third from the bin and try to insert it at the join the white arrows seem to indicate you are in position to drop it. In fact it doesn't always insert correctly and link to the join leaving a small sliver of the original right hand clip.

On looking closely there seems to be a degree of "looseness"  with the adjustment as the arrows actually appear BEFORE the dragged clip reaches the join and if you drop the clip when they appear you may not be actually at the join. Zoomed out it's less evident that you may be missing the join.

Perhaps that's why some users get narrow slivers that are not seen but mess up the transitions.?

The dragging arrow on the clip marks the actual dropping point.

Nat

45 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

I think I see what you mean..(or its similar.....)

If you have two clips on the timeline joined up and then drag a third from the bin and try to insert it at the join the white arrows seem to indicate you are in position to drop it. In fact it doesn't always insert correctly and link to the join leaving a small sliver of the original right hand clip.

On looking closely there seems to be a degree of "looseness"  with the adjustment as the arrows actually appear BEFORE the dragged clip reaches the join and if you drop the clip when they appear you may not be actually at the join. Zoomed out it's less evident that you may be missing the join.

Perhaps that's why some users get narrow slivers that are not seen but mess up the transitions.?

The dragging arrow on the clip marks the actual dropping point.

Nat

Yes, that is exactly what's going on.

I make it look evident by zooming the timeline all the way in after you insert the clip in there.

Hi

"Looks like a bug.  Hold down <alt> when dragging/dropping.  That should place the clip on the margin".

I tried that but as you drag the clip down with the ALT key pressed you cross over the overlay track and I found it didn't always insert the clip.It sometimes overwrote the the timeline.

As dragging and dropping seems to be imprecise with or without the ALT key and if you need to insert at a join the only way it can be done "safely" is  to step to the join using the sequence preview >II or the II< buttons and then use Place on Sequence at the Cursor option.

Nat