Updating Imported Clip Sequences.... is it possible?

Miri

Hi,

I'm new to the software (and video editing in general) and have a basic question: is it possible to import clips from other videos (or just other little video pad videos) such that when you edit the clip in the original video, it updates in the new one? I'm looking to this as an external and live link, similar to how artwork might be updated in illustrator each time it is loaded? I've tried with what I could fathom, but it didn't seem to update my changes and import the clip in its latest version.

Any help is much appreciated. As I mentioned, I'm quite new to this and so while I tried to do a search of the forum to see if this topic has been covered, i'm *so* new to video editing I'm sure I haven't been able to find the right key words or terminology to help in my search! So, even if you can just help with that, that'd be great!

Cheers,

Miri.

Import a clip to the video bin and place it on the timeline.  Add effects to that clip, then export the timeline sequence as a video file.

That file is just another clip that incorporates your changes and can be loaded back into Videopad.  Is this what you have in mind?

Hi Borate,

Thank you so much for getting back to me and clarifying.

What i mean is I have recorded some little clips and saved them as video pad files (.vpj). Lets call it 'sequence5.vpj'. In sequence5 I do some edits, cuts, merges of a few avis, and save. I keep it in the native vpj format - no exporting. Then, in my main movie, I import sequence5 as one of the sequences on my timeline. And I save that also as a vpj, lets call it 'Movie.vpj'. I put the movie together and feel a tweak needs to happen in sequence5, such as adding an effect to one of the clips within Sequence5. So i open sequence5 and make my tweak, and save in the vpj format. When i get back to Movie, it still has the old version of sequence5, not the latest version with the new tweaks in it.

Was that more clear?

Is there any way to either update sequence5 in Movie automatically, or even manually? So far, I have had to delete sequence5 and then re-import it and re-add to the timeline in order for it to reflect the latest version of the imported clip.

Any help or workaround would be great!

Cheers,

Miri

If FILE|SAVE PROJECT FILE AS is invoked, the current state of the entire project will be saved.   A VPJ is a control file that stores the locations of clips, specify effects, etc.  It's not playable, but will restore the timeline to exactly how it was when the file was written - provided no files have been moved or renamed.

It's good practice to increment numbers on those saves, instead of overwriting with SAVE PROJECT, as this will allow reversion to earlier versions if necessary. 

Hi

The .vpj file is not, in fact a video, it's a text file of data that tells VP how to recreate the project that you saved. So although saving your sequence5.vpj leaves your project intact on the timeline, it can't be loaded back and incorporated in your movie as you seem to be suggesting. It's a saved entity and doesn't update when the movie from which it was made gets altered.Using Save Project will overwrite the .vpj file (so saving any changes you made but you lose your first edit) or using Save project as and using a different name saves a new vpj file with the new name. i.e. you will be able to recreate either edit in the event of a crash. But you can't add them to your project as a clip unless you actually exported them first

You need to use the sequence feature.

e.g. Edit your first attempt and then click the Sequence tab on the top toolbar. Click the New tab. This clears the timeline and places your edited movie in the Sequence bin as a new clip (Sequence 1) which you can rename. You can now drop it back onto the timeline and carry on editing it, adding further clips etc.. The sequence in the bin will remain unchanged. You can reload sequence 1 back to the timeline like any new clip. In effect it's possible to have a sequences nested like this several times.(at the expense of rendering speed.)The awkward thing here is that the saved sequence is now a complete clip in its own right. Like an export, individual clips that went to make it up are no longer evident. Also the sound track, although present is no longer visible (although it can be recreated.) It's all a bit complex.

An alternative way of working is once you have done some editing, group the clips and copy them. Now paste them back to an overlay track and click the "eye" icon at the left end of the track, This hides the track with the copy but keeps the clips available for editing. Your main track is the "Movie" and editing can be continued on this.  If you want to put the copied clips back you can drag and drop them onto the main track.

It's best to keep things really simple for a start until you get accustomed to the program's capabilities as it can get confusing.

Nat

Hi Borate,

Again, thank you so much for responding.

I did not realize that the vpj format was about information on how to put the video together (along with where to find files, etc), rather than a 'here is a video but it is still editable' concept. That certainly makes sense, then, why it works this way.

I will try exporting as an .avi and loading that as my sequence rather using the .vpj. The fact that it is not lossless anymore irks me, but that might be unimportant for what I am trying to do.

Your explanation was very helpful. Thanks!

Cheers,

Miri

Hi Nationalsolo,

Thanks for your reply. And yes, it certainly does get confusing!

I had been using the sequence features as when you 'import clips from another project' it automatically puts it in a new sequence. As well, it doesn't show you all the work - just the 'final' version of the other file. This is why I thought it would load the final version of the other file each time it loaded the sequence in the main movie, and was surprised when it didn't! And I liked the idea of sequences rather than clips only because it lets me work on each sequence and edit them to some degree of satisfaction, without everything getting so cluttered and confusing. I was just hoping to keep the 'messy work' out of the main movie as that is pushing my computer to the max!

That said, i then couldn't find any 'update sequence' or 'reload clip' options in the sequence bin. I was hoping my workflow would be as follows: Create projects for each scene, and save them as a project as i go along. Create one main movie project and import all my scenes as sequences. Edit the transitions between the sequences in the main movie...export when finished. Along the way, I was hoping to edit the scenes in their individual project files to refine them and make them better, as I went along. I was hoping to work this way mostly because my computer seems a bit slow. So, I was hoping that there would be a way I could keep the work I do on my scenes separate from the work I do on the flow between the scenes.

That said, I have since studied what you had written in more detail and tried exporting my scenes as avi, and then dropping them into the movie directly. These DO update to the latest version of that avi (so if i save over the old file, the new file is visible). It's a bit cumbersome, but workable!

Thank you so much for this information. It has been quite helpful.

Cheers,

Miri