How to quickly merge 2 videos together based on the sound volume (who is talking)

philip201129

My son and I play videos game together. We play same game and each of us has our own headset.

I would like to merge those 2 videos together based on who is talking. So from audio track everytime each of us talk the audio wave is bigger as I can. But how do I quickly merge those 2 videos based on that criteria? I do not want to cut each videos into smaller chunks and merge because it would take too much time. If there is an automatic way to merge based on the volume of the sound wave that would help me quickly merge. Please give me an idea on how to achieve this. Thanks

Philip

What i meant was to merge my video and my son's video together and show on the sequence based on who is talking. For example from 0.00 to 0.10 I am talking then show my video, from 0.10 to .30 my son is talking then show my son videos, just like that. It is not ducking audio

Thanks

One way...

Place your video on track one and your son's on track two.  Keep in mind that track two will overlay (override) the lower.  So, initially only his video will be seen.

Where you want your video to be visible, simply split out and delete those segments of track 2, leaving gaps.  Your track one video will display in the gap area.

Far as I know, no.  Splitting out chunks is easy.  On track two, click the start of the segment and the split icon appears on the scrubber (red line).  Click the icon.

Do the same at the end of segment.  Then right-click this new clip and CUT or DELETE.  That should leave a gap where the lower track will be seen.

Hi

As an alternative which doesn't involve deleting anything  you could try this...

• Place your complete video(s) on Video track 1 and your son's complete video(s) on Video track2 (the overlay.)
  • With the SHIFT key depressed select and drag your son's video (Video track 2) to the right so it starts where yours is to  leave off
  • Move the red cursor line to the start of yours son's section
  • Select Video Track 1
  • Split using Split Selected Video clips
  • Play the timeline to the point where your son's section ends
  • With the SHIFT key depressed select Video track1 and drag your split off clip to the right until it starts at the cursor line.
  • Select Video track 2
  • Split using  Split Selected Video clips.
  • With the SHIFT key depressed select Video track 2 and drag it to the right so it starts where yours leaves off. etc..

Continue like this. Sections of each clip (yours and your son's will follow one another on each track. Nothing is deleted. Don't select to split the Video tracks from the list as this will leave the audio behind...use the Split Selected Video clips option. With a bit of practice you can speed up by jumping the cursor the the start of each clip using the >II button in sequence preview.

Your timeline will (should) look something like this.......

DWgh2.jpg

Sections of each video following one another without any deletions. (Track 1...Track 2...Track1...Track 2.....

Nat

This seems a little bit complicated than the SPLIT and DELETE method above but I will check it out. So far the SPLIT AND DELETE works for me.

Now I am stuck at another problem. Now I want to copy a clip of the entire timeline (including the video 1 and video 2) from 11:47 to 11:52 as a trailer (which will be appended to the beginning of the video). However there is no way I can select and COPY the timeline. I tried to select the region but it only give me option "Delete the Selected Region". How do I copy and Selected Region? I tried to split but it is a little confused here because too many splits and I can't select the correct one

I am trying to insert the screenshot here but this type of forum won't let me insert directly into a post

To insert a screenshot, see the 'sticky' post Tips for getting help at the top of this forum.

To isolate a section of the timeline...

Click the sequence tab above the bin (upper-left).  Click on the sequence itself (usually sequence 1).

Under the preview window, drag the red bracket [ to where the desired area is to begin (11:47).

Drag the blue bracket ] to where the area is to end (11:52).   The unwanted regions will be shaded.

Export.  That file can be brought back into VP.

H

"....i This seems a little bit complicated than the SPLIT and DELETE method above but I will check it out. So far the SPLIT AND DELETE works for me..... "

If deletion of parts of the videos works ....great!

" ...I am trying to insert the screenshot here but this type of forum won't let me insert directly into a post ... "

Inserting an image into a forum post.

Do a screensave or have a suitable image available to demonstrate your point. (e.g. a jpeg)
    Go to   https://pictr.com/ and click "Start Uploading" This will open a File upload window.
    In the File Upload window navigate to your image
    Select the image and click Open.
    Click the green Upload button. Your image will be uploaded to Pictr.com
    When upload is complete scroll down and click Embed codes
    Copy the Image URL. (It also has a Copy option if you hover over the text so click the word Copy that appears )
    Return to the forum and in your post place the cursor where you wish your image to insert.
    Now click Insert other media at the bottom of the post.
    Select Insert image from URL. This opens up a window above your post.
    Paste your Image URL that you copied from Pictr.com followed by Insert into post...
    The image will appear in your post at the position of the cursor.
    Left clicking on the image will allow it to be suitably sized in the body of your post.

"...I already chose RED and BLUE bracket on the SEQUENCE but when I export it export the whole video?..."

With your complete project on the timeline...

• Do Save project as.. in case of errors
  • Click the Sequence tab on the top toolbar followed by New Sequence. This clears the timeline
  • Open the Sequence clip bin and place Sequence 1 on the timeline. This your whole project as a single clip
  • In Clip preview use the START/END markers to isolate the section you wish to export The sequence on the timeline will reflect your selection.
  • Now Export the timeline in the normal way. The section selected will export to your selected folder and in the format chosen.
  • Reload your project from the  saved .vpj  file and add the exported clip and place it where you want.

Hope this helps

Nat

12 hours ago, philip201129 said:

I already chose RED and BLUE bracket on the SEQUENCE but when I export it export the whole video?

If it did not succeed as instructed above, then you likely didn't follow instructions precisely.  Tested twice here, successfully.  When exporting there should be a warning that only the unshaded portion of the video will be saved.  Nat's method is also a fine alternative.

As to why the program crashed ... tough to guess.  Video editing is resource intensive:  what are the specs for your PC - RAM, CPU, free memory space, video card, etc.?

Prior to beginning a new project, click the OPTIONS icon, then the DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.

Nat's solution works for me but your solution kinda not working but I will try again. When I used your method the export method did not ask me to confirm that the unshaded part will be exported. It basically exports the whole video. My PC is i7 8th Generation Radeon 20Gb video card and 16GB of DDR4 RAM. The disk cache is on the HDD while the main drive is SSD to run Windows and Videopad cache on the HDD. Thanks for helping

Dropped back to 6.01 and isolated a portion of a single clip using the START|END brackets.  (Same thing as if the red-line scrubber is positioned, then the START|END buttons used.)

Exported.  No prompt, but only the unshaded area was exported.  This is consistent with past posts where export didn't result in the full clip because a portion of the sequence had been inadvertently isolated.

Hi Borate

In 6.10 there is no prompt as noted, but If you used a single clip in your project and trim it with START/END markers as you seem to have done then the whole timeline.. your project of a single clip in this case, would be exported giving the impression that you are exporting the trimmed bit whatever the case. Try it again with several clips. I think you will find you can't export just the trimmed portion.

I got the impression that philip201129  had multiple clips and selected one to trim and expected to export just the trimmed bit so he could add it back.. This doesn't happen with VP 6.10 as all the clips are exported.

Nat

Nat, that's not the case here.  Placed three A/V video clips - of varying lengths and formats - on the timeline.  Chose sequence tab above the bin.  Set START|END markers and exported.   Only the unshaded, intended video was exported (to an mp4 in this case).

In a second test five clips - total 2:20 - were on the timeline, with a ten-second overlay text clip in the middle.  That overlay portion was trimmed and it alone was the result.

Hi

Yes.That works here too. Choosing the Sequence tab seems to be the key. I was trying it from the clip bin.  Never used it like that. useful way of extracting a timeline section. Thanks for the hint.Having extracted a section this way the redo button will reestablish the timeline.

Nat