Insert a clip doesn't appear to be working

Nationalsolo

Hi all

Currently working on a project with 100+ short clips that are all on the timeline. Timeline run time is 30 mins. This project at the moment uses just Video track 1 and Audio track 1 with a single overlay title at the start.

Intending to insert an unused clip at a certain point, I positioned the cursor at the insert position. I right clicked the clip in the clip bin and selected Place on Sequence at the Cursor. Instead on inserting the clip at the cursor as it should have done it placed the clip at the cursor but on Video track 2. as shown below....

3Vi2J.jpg

Stepped back with undo and repeated using Ctrl+SHIFT+Insert   with same result. Clip did not insert. Undid again, previewed clip and used the Place button option with same result.

I know it is easy enough grab the errant clip and drag in down to Video track1 to insert it manually but the option selected from the menu (or key press selection) should have done this. Is this a bug in version 6.10 or is there some other factor coming into play?

(Later)

Checked this with 6 clips but no title on Track 2 and the insert worked OK. **&*^&!!

Added 100 clips on timeline and a title on track 2 and it worked OK. *&*^&%* !! 

Reloaded the project from the .vpj file..........Insert worked....Sod's law! *&*^&*!!

Well! Although it failed to function  correctly  before, (see image)  I suppose we had better ignore this post. ??

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

Using the latest beta, Nat's observations were confirmed here - repeatedly - until they were not.  For no apparent reason, insert at cursor began to work correctly.

CACHE wasn't cleared, project wasn't reloaded.  Single clip on timeline with a short text overlay.

Hi Sam

Yes it has done it again but can't find a consistent scenario. Might be the position of the cursor relative to the number of following clips as I am inserting at the cursor position and everything must shift up to accommodate it .Might be related to the length of the clip being inserted. Haven't noted if it happens at any time when a trimmed clip is Placed at the cursor from the clip preview screen (This portion of the project contains 92 short clips) There's no problem in practice as just dragging the clip down from Track 2 to make it insert works. As I have a further two big sections of this video to assemble I'll have plenty of opportunity to see if it happens again. :-)

Nat

Hi Sam

I came back to this and tried it with three mpeg2 clips in the bin. Put two on the timeline with a title on Track 2 and then trimmed the unused clip from the bin in preview. Placed it on the sequence at the cursor...Lo and behold it appeared on Track 2 at the cursor!  Ah! I thought, I can repeat this ......

So I started a reply here and stepped through the same moves. Believe it or not every attempt to put the trimmed clip on the sequence at the cursor position worked  correctly this time!  Sod's law.  Started again from scratch (didn't empty the cache as I have my project there) I added the same  clips in a  different order; linked and unlinked, shortened the title clip,left it original length, added the clip from the clip bin using the drop down menu, added it form the preview screen using Place; tried putting cursor on a join  etc.  Couldn't get it to end up on Video Track 2 at all!

So I cant replicate this at the moment :-(  

On the Plus side VP is working brilliantly with my project with no major hangups or stoppages. Swapped the Lo res clips used for editing for the Hi res clips for the final export. They reloaded perfectly from the lo res .vpj file. Re-edited a couple  of the hi res clips and the project Part 2 is exporting at the moment. There's Part 3 another multi clip section to edit and commentary to add to all three so the placing clip problem  it may come up again. Thanks.

Nat