How do you move placed text on the sequence (without effects)

Odoeb

So i know how to use the effect to move the text around over the period of a few seconds etc. What i cant figure out is why sometimes i can drag the text around to where i want it to start and other times i have to use the alignment tools instead. I have no idea why it works sometimes and doesnt other times. Any help?

Hi

Apart from the limited movements and positioning provided with the text editor in the way of top/middle/bottom, scrolling and justification (as well as the styles provided from the Add Text menu,)  you cannot move text without using an effect which you say you don't want to do.   Wrong!! Forgot you can drag it in the editor.

Positioning the text on the timeline (which is possibly what you are referring to?) should be straightforward. You can either drag it manually left/right or set the red cursor line to a particular position and then in clip preview use the Place tab to put the text at one of the choices shown. These methods should work every time.

Nat

It's not clear here whether you want to move the text itself - from within the preview window - or whether your goal is to position the text clip on the time line, as Nat describes.

In 6.10 text can definitely be positioned in the preview window as described earlier.  With the text compose window open, or after clicking FX on the text clip, or clicking on the text clip in the bin, drag the text.

Hi

" That's strange that you say i cant position it other wise as ive been able to drag it before. "

OOPS..Sorry!.....My mistake. ? ? !!  Forgot that...You should be able to drag text within the editor window to position it.

Even if you have already added the text to the timeline, left click the text image in the image bin and then drag the clip preview screen to where you want it. The timeline thumbnail will update automatically. There is no need to open the editor again unless you want to alter the text.

Are you saying that VP won't allow this?

Nat