Failure to export video to DVD

Norbert1

Hi,

I just bought the HomeEdition of VideoPad but don't seem to be able to export my project to a DVD in an external drive/burner. When choosing the Export Video and DVD Movie Disk function I selected Apple SuperDrive as burner drive (the alternative option was Image File) and the software started to create the movie with the progress bar showing. However, when the progress bar reached 100% an error message popped up saying "Error. Failed to create your movie. The selected drive does not exist or is not responding." Has anyone ever encountered the same issue?

Many thanks.

N

Did you check the DVD?  There have been instances where an export was successful, despite error messages.

If feasible, share your work...

With your project on the time time line, click FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT.  Upload every file that results to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.

Make the link public and post it here.  Someone will check things out.  If there are many files, zip them first, then upload the ZIP file.

Hi

You seem to have basically exported your video to your PC then transferred it to a DVD disc ..it's still data file.(.mov.) With Express Burn and other DVD authouring programs you select the DVD video burning option ...

a05936202c6b3c2287e4338f65c74ea2.jpg

and Add the .mov file (or .avi or .wmv etc. to the list space.

36851caafa593047007b0d769daa06a5.jpg

(They vary slightly) and when Burn Video DVD is clicked the program creates an AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder on the disc.  The AUDIO_TS folder is usually empty. The VIDEO_TS folder  contains other files such  VOB, BUP, and IFO files These are read by the player you use to play the video.

It appears that you simply created a Data DVD ?

Nat

Confusion arises from the term DVD - a Diversified Versatile (or Video) Disk.  It can store a number of formats, one of which is a 'DVD' format for standalone players.

If you instead burn a Data DVD, as Nat notes, you have simply copied the file to the DVD disk.  It should play on PC optical drives, but not on most standalone players.  No menus.

Thank you very much, Nat and borate. You are right. I did just copy the .mov file on a DVD. This was the only way i managed to do that. I tried all the steps you mention about Express Burn above and it's the same result. I get a failure message all the time. It seems as if the software can't recognise my external burner drive. Funnily enough, when I had a DVD in that drive which already had data on it (it is not a rewritable one) VideoPad regocnised it and ask for an empty DVD to be inserted.

If possible, to confirm whether it's a hardware or config problem in your system, upload the project as suggested earlier.

Did you follow Nat's suggestion to export as a VIDEO file, then place that file on the time line and attempt to burn a DVD in VP or with Express Burn?

• 2 months later...

HI,

I recently realised how to solve to problem with exporting my project to a DVD. I had to start the laptop with the external dvd burner drive plugged in. Only then the program can recognise the drive and burn the DVD properly. It did work in the end.

Thank you all for your support and advice. Very much appreciated.