Text on sides of vertical video

TahoeBound

I recorded vertical video with cell phone and Videopad leaves a couple inch gap on each side of the video. Is there a way to put my branding information in that unused space? I tried overlaying a text graphic and that did not work. Any help much appreciated.

Hi

There are several ways you could do this. If you are simply using text then click the Add Objects tab abd then Add Simple Text.

In the text editor set the font size to around 9 - 12 and type using a suitable text colour to contrast with the black border. Use a left justification and central screen position. Since the text editor screen does not match the scale of the 16:9 VP frame (a point mentioned in previous posts) you will have to check how many characters you can type before the text overlaps your image. (With font size 9 it is about 17)

When the text is placed on the overlay track (Video track 2) it should appear to the left of the image. (You will probably have to adjust it)

e.g.

4bbb3da52a9c4accec5234a10e19302f.jpg

If you want text to appear on the right of the image you can simply use The Position effect to move it over.

e.g....

dcd017d046e31520c286762849e2848b.jpg

If you have an image you wish to add then you can use the Scale effect to reduce it sufficiently so that it will fit into the border (around 1/3 on each axis) and then use the Position effect again to place it where you want it to go (left or right) Go into Sequence preview to monitor the positioning.

e.g. Here is an image added in this way to the above project. (Note is placed on Video track 3)33489b48903fb6a82af12747f9f43091.jpg

Hope this helps

Nat

Hi

" So I followed your directions and I cannot get it to work. When I export it plays the video for a milisecond and then just the text slide is shown.  "

I can't see why the export shows the clip that was on Video track 1  playing for such a short time followed by just the text slide.

In VP is the video track OK and of the correct duration and did it preview correctly? What were your export parameters?

This is what happens here... (All clips and images had a 10 second duration....)

A 16:9 clip with a 9:16 portrait image in the center was placed on Video track 1and with the VP preview screen set at 16:9 there was a black band on either side in which to insert the overlay text. Note: The text on the right and on the left (or a smaller image) were on Video track 2 and Video track 3. and placed directly over Video track 1 so they all lined up correctly above one another. This previewed correctly, all playing for the designated duration.Text either side of the image. Exporting this as a 16:9 MPEG4 (1280 x 720 ) The result played correctly.

Substituting the 16:9 image clip for a 9:16 (450 x 800) image the export (16:9) played correctly as above (No difference seen)

Substituting the 16:9 video clip for a previously exported 9:16 clip (450 x 800) the export played correctly with text on either side of the image.

If you reset the preview display to 9:16 there will be no black bands in which to place text so things don't work. The text is placed over the image .

Exporting the 16:9 sequence as a 9:16  clip resulted in the text being placed over the image as above.

So in your case   just load your portrait orientated clips to VP with the preview screen set a 16:9 resolution to get the black bars, add your text to each side and adjust as mentioned in the above post and export as a normal 16:9

Whilst playing around with this the thing I found a little odd was that a 9:16 image (450 x 800) exported as a 9:16 (450 x 800) MPEG4 STILL shows black bars to each side..albeit narrow ones. On paper there should not be any as the image size and export size were set the same.  Anybody explain this?

Nat