This behavior expected?

VideoSmideo

Hi

" Is this behavior typical "

Obviously not!  Low preview setting.and fully loaded to timeline; doesn't seem to have any edits......If you haven't already done it I would clear the cache and see whether that makes any difference. If all else fails save the project and reinstall the software.

Nat

Tried Nat's suggestions?  If no joy, please place a several-minute portion of the project on the time line. 

If it displays the same behavior, click FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT.

Zip the results and upload the zip file to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.

Make the link public and post it here.  Someone will check things out.

10 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

" Is this behavior typical "

Obviously not!  Low preview setting.and fully loaded to timeline; doesn't seem to have any edits......If you haven't already done it I would clear the cache and see whether that makes any difference. If all else fails save the project and reinstall the software.

Nat

What I meant was is this typical for a large HD file? Really, I'm starting to feel like I am putting a square peg in a round hole and maybe its good for small clips put not good for editing full movies or a full basketball game with slow-mo. I just can't tell where the cut off is. Maybe I should be doing videos in 10 minute chunks?

When I used 20 or so clips there was no chance it was gonna preview. So I rendered it into one clip you see above. Now I am trying to edit that.  I finally got it to work by going down to 15fps and lowest 16:9 resolution but its hard to see. A few times I have put missed shots in the final highlight film doing it this way. 

Also, I think we need to put a big CLEAR CACHE button on the toolbar. 

Hi

The stuttering with "Building preview" message shouldn't happen. I just cleared the cache and set up a 30 minute timeline with multiple HD mpeg4 clips and numerous jpeg images and this, once cached, previews normally with the preview screen set at 512 x 288 (16:9) and this is on an  Older Vista PC with CPU usage during preview was 64%. There was no message or stuttering.

When I increased the preview resolution to 1280 x 720 (16:9) the CPU usage rose to 100% whilst the cache was being  reformed and the timeline was being rebuilt and this took quite few minutes to complete. Previewing the timeline when the CPU usage had stabiized (to around 60%)  resulted in numerous stutters with the "Building Preview" message coming up and which appeared when the CPU usage rose to 100%.

To make things run smoothly then I keep the preview resolution to no more than 640 x 360. You can always undock the preview window and even full-screen it if you want a closer look during editing.

Nat

6 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

The stuttering with "Building preview" message shouldn't happen. I just cleared the cache and set up a 30 minute timeline with multiple HD mpeg4 clips and numerous jpeg images and this, once cached, previews normally with the preview screen set at 512 x 288 (16:9) and this is on an  Older Vista PC with CPU usage during preview was 64%. There was no message or stuttering.

When I increased the preview resolution to 1280 x 720 (16:9) the CPU usage rose to 100% whilst the cache was being  reformed and the timeline was being rebuilt and this took quite few minutes to complete. Previewing the timeline when the CPU usage had stabiized (to around 60%)  resulted in numerous stutters with the "Building Preview" message coming up and which appeared when the CPU usage rose to 100%.

To make things run smoothly then I keep the preview resolution to no more than 640 x 360. You can always undock the preview window and even full-screen it if you want a closer look during editing.

Nat

My computer could probably work 4 video projects at once and have resources left. It is powerful. I used to edit on a  i7 16gb win10 laptop and had CPU spikes. This desktop is a supercomputer by comparison but the program seems to be bogged down by itself. Is there a place to check if what resources I am allocating?

My videos are all 1080p and 60fps (I'd like to edit 4k 60fps since iphones are at that but not going to borrow trouble). Usually I am trying to edit a 30 minute basketball game down to 4 minutes. 

I guess at 60fps I am editing about an hour's worth of 1080 footage when compared to most people using 30fps. 

I had similar issues on my slightly old 4K gaming PC (i7-4790, SSD, 16GB, Win7, GTX1070). I was trying to edit a four-camera shoot of about an hour of mixed 1080p, 2k7 and 4k footage and it was nightmarishly slow. I tried all the cache, preview size and so on suggestions with minimal improvements.

Turned out that Windows had 'helpfully' set the Power Plan to 'balanced', which meant the 3.6/4GHz processor never went faster than 800MHz; changing the Power Plan to 'High performance' made it work at the sort of speed I'd expect.