Snapping

Moviemaker

When dragging clips to the timeline how can I stop a clip snapping to the one on the timeline. I want to move clips around without them snapping

on the last one in sequence.

Is there something in settings that can  stop this happening.

Is your intent to insert a clip between existing clips?

Place the scrubber (red line) at the split point between the clips  where you want the new one inserted.

In the media bin, click on the clip to be inserted.  Click the chevron to the right of the PLACE button and choose PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.

Disable other tracks, if necessary, to keep them from being affected.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, borate said:

Is your intent to insert a clip between existing clips?

Place the scrubber (red line) at the split point between the clips  where you want the new one inserted.

In the media bin, click on the clip to be inserted.  Click the chevron to the right of the PLACE button and choose PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.

Disable other tracks, if necessary, to keep them from being affected.

Thank you for your reply. I don't want to insert a clip between existing clips. I want to drag a clip on to the time line and have it stay were it is so I can move it about as neccesary. The trouble is the clip automatically snaps on to the clips that happen to be on the timeline. I wish to stop automatic snapping and wondered if this is a default setting that can be changed.

Hi

if you drag a clip from the clip bin and drop it onto a clip already on the timeline or to join or to the cursor position it will INSERT

If you drag a clip from the clip bin and drop it beyond the END of the timeline it will automatically snap  back and join onto the previous clip. No doubt you have tried to drag the clip to the right again and as you have noticed it will automatically snap back again.

However, once your clip has been added (snapped on at the end of the timeline) you can simply grab it and  move it along to the right to the desired position and then press the Alt key. If you now release the clip it will stay in place and not snap back.

You can now adjust its position  more accurately  without the Alt key leaving a gap and it will stay in place unless you drag it very close to the end of the timeline when it will snap on again. If this happens you will need to use the Alt key and drag it right again to unstick it.

Nat

I want to drag a clip on to the time line and have it stay were it is so I can move it about as necessary.

Consider simply placing the new clip on the next higher track.  It can then be positioned as desired.

But keep in mind that higher tracks overlay lower tracks, so the new clip will obscure what's on the track just beneath it.

Once positioned, the new clip can be dragged down into the lower track.

While holding down the mouse button, slide the clip:  multiple arrows will appear, to show precisely where it will insert.

Make a mistake?  Press <ctrl-Z>.

Thank you Nat for your help and suggestions. I will give them all a go. I gather from what you told me, reading between the lines, that snapping is a default setting

and can't be altered. I have used other editing programmes which give you the option to have snapping on or off which prompted my original query.

Moviemaker