Move text around in VideoPad

Jannierm89

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Your text   can be positioned as Borate describes. i.e. In Clip preview simply grab the text and move it to the new position. If you want it to MOVE then you will have to add an effect. e.g. Position and then use keyframes.

Nat

Hi,

I am on version 6.01. I cannot make this work, what else am I missing?

When I click on drag on the text, I see the bounding rectangle move. When I release the mouse button, the rectangle snaps back and disappears, and the text never moved at all.

Thanks
  Matt

Odd.  Create a simple text file.  Even before adding it to the time line, the lettering should be movable by left-clicking and dragging in the preview window.

Clear unused cache files, under OPTIONS|DISK tab.  If no joy, reinstall Videopad.  This, using a beta version that apparently has corrected the problem.

It's indeed odd. I just couldn't replicate what you did in the demo. I tried clearing the cache like you suggested but it didn't work. I'll try installing the latest release. I'm on Win 10. 

I found a workaround which is to add a Text Effect - Position and move it to the desired position.

Matt

Hi

Just reloaded VP 6.01 Professional Licensed version (was using 6.10 for above posts) and checked  out dragging the text.

st11x is correct. A four headed arrow appears and the yellow rectangle can  dragged to a new position but the text does not move with it.  I have to presume the feature we are describing in our posts using VP 6.10 was not implemented in the earlier version or that version has a bug.

Applying the Position effect to the text is the obvious way to proceed.

Nat

Yes, I can confirm that as well. Ironically, in the newer version where you can move the text, the cursor doesn't change when you hover over the text, so you don't know that you could in fact move it.

I have seen an earlier forum thread that it can be positioned and with that 4 headed arrow, so it was available prior to 6.01.

Matt

• 1 year later...

You have latched onto an old thread.  If there was an issue, it has likely been fixed . Check out the latest VP version.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

Cannot spot the problem here.  To position text hold down the left mouse button and drag the text in the preview window.

Specifically, what''s not working?

Hi XYHC

If you have what you say is the latest version of VP, there should be no difficulty in positioning your text

1. Generate and add your text. Don't worry about its position in the editor.
  2. Once on the sequence track right click drag it to where you want it along the timeline.
  3. Move the mouse cursor onto the text image in the Clip Preview screen. It will turn into a 4 headed arrow.
  4. Press down and hold the left hand mouse button. The text will now have a yellow rectangle around it with a "hand" icon.
  5. Drag the rectangle  to position the text where you want  in the preview pane.(The "hand" will change to the 4 headed cross whilst the text is in motion.)  It will automatically update the timeline (but not the clip bin image) .....

aa.jpg

Here, the text has been moved to the bottom left of the screen and the yellow rectangle is just visible in the preview window.(Ought to be more visible...ie green or red)

This is using the 7.30 Beta version of VP but the feature works OK in the latest 7.25 release.

Note that animated text/titles won't work with this method and you will have to add the Position effect.

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

Once you have typed the text,  drag the text clip from the bin (top-left) onto the sequence, if it's not already there.

Click the FX button at the bottom-left of that clip.  This will open the effects window.

Choose the POSITION effect.  In the preview window, drag the 4-headed arrow.  The window and text will move.

No, there is no Position option available.  And I have my 14 year-old here echoing what you're saying but witnessing what I'm seeing.  However, there is a message upon launching the program that says something to the effect of not all all effects and transitions may be available and to reinstall the software, which I have already done (seems to work once then next launch, the same).  So, maybe that's the trigger BUT that makes this software useless like that.

Here's exactly what the message says upon launch:

There was an error loading one or more of the effect or transition icons.
Please reinstall VideoPad to fix this problem. If the problem persists, contact NCH Software support at http://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

Guess I'll be reaching out...maybe the other user can confirm if this is happening to them as well.

That's a new one.  Possible corruption.  Worth checking your hard drive.  At the elevated (administrative) command prompt type "chkdsk" <enter> and see if it finds errors.

To get to that prompt In Windows 10, type "command" into the search bar (bottom-left of screen), then right-click on the result and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

It should report that no further action is necessary.

As for Videopad, UNinstall, using this tool.  Take care to delete ONLY Videopad entries.  Then reinstall.  That should give you a fresh start.

So, support had me do a clean install - uninstall from Programs, delete C:\ProgramData\NCH Software (which I didn't have before the uninstall and got back after the uninstall), delete C:\Users\(Your computer profile)\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\VideoPad then reinstall and re-register.  Position is now available (for the moment) and I can click in the Clip Preview on the text I want to move and get the dashed line around it and can move it around. So, we'll see how long this lasts, but my suggestion would be to do a clean install if you're experiencing the above symptoms.