No audio with video using USB input.

Artie

I'm trying to do what should be simple. I have a camcorder plugged into a USB converter, (VidBox), that has both audio and video inputs. Videopad sees the video just fine. But there's no audio. I have the volume turned up. I hear the audio as the tape plays. I can't figure out what I might be doing wrong. 

Hi

I personally haven't tried  using VP to load an A/D converter output directly but doesn't one normally use the device  like Vidbox via a conversion suite program to create a digital copy (.avi) on computer first?  This should then load to VP with no trouble.

Nat

Hi

I have just tried this procedure out with my A/D "One Touch Grabber" card and Yes, VP loads both video and sound direct via the Record button.

It wouldn't  be necessary in fact to use the "Grabber" software that came with this little  device although the interface for this allows you watch the tape and to check the contrast and colours etc. before you set it off recording. So I create an avi file first and then subsequently load this into VP.

However, although  not the same as the Vidbox with regards the leads, my variant of the "Grabber" has the 3 composite connectors plus the svideo plug that connect to the tape player and at the other end the USB input cable to the computer plus a separate audio 3.5 mm colour coded  jack plug.  This jack plug is Pale Green. (Note: most of the "Grabbers" don't seem to have this particular cable but it may be relevant)

When I first used this  device it failed to record the tape audio in the output video but as it was colour coded  I had logically plugged it into the green audio socket on my PC. However that was the earphone socket. I needed to plug it into the Pink microphone socket! if your leads are similar it might be worth checking out. Audio Out should go into the microphone input.

Also check the VP mike input recording setup. Click the Red Record button on the toolbar and then select Record Audio. Here you can check the Windows record mixer as well as make a VP test audio input.

Nat

15 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

I have just tried this procedure out with my A/D "One Touch Grabber" card and Yes, VP loads both video and sound direct via the Record button.

It wouldn't  be necessary in fact to use the "Grabber" software that came with this little  device although the interface for this allows you watch the tape and to check the contrast and colours etc. before you set it off recording. So I create an avi file first and then subsequently load this into VP.

However, although  not the same as the Vidbox with regards the leads, my variant of the "Grabber" has the 3 composite connectors plus the svideo plug that connect to the tape player and at the other end the USB input cable to the computer plus a separate audio 3.5 mm colour coded  jack plug.  This jack plug is Pale Green. (Note: most of the "Grabbers" don't seem to have this particular cable but it may be relevant)

When I first used this  device it failed to record the tape audio in the output video but as it was colour coded  I had logically plugged it into the green audio socket on my PC. However that was the earphone socket. I needed to plug it into the Pink microphone socket! if your leads are similar it might be worth checking out. Audio Out should go into the microphone input.

Also check the VP mike input recording setup. Click the Red Record button on the toolbar and then select Record Audio. Here you can check the Windows record mixer as well as make a VP test audio input.

Nat

Vidbox is almost the same. I have the three composite inputs, (left/right/video), and an S-connector, which I don't use. Then, there's simply a USB connector out to the computer. The USB supplies both the audio and video data. I've used this before using the Vidbox software, but that was on an older computer that "crashed". I'm trying other options now and have emailed Vidbox, hopefully to get a new activation code for the software. I'll let you know how this goes, but it just seems strange that I'm not getting audio.

20 hours ago, borate said:

You hear the audio on the PC (from the converter) as the material plays?

VP can handle many sources.   http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/mac/content_capturingvideo.html

No. From the camcorders speaker. 

It always has before. But that was using it's supplied software. Also, that was on an older Win7 machine. This is a new Win10 machine that I'm still getting used to. I've downloaded NCH's free Debut Video Capture program, and it does the same thing. Captures the video, but not the audio. Before I do anything else, I'm going to try to get a new activation code for the Vidbox itself. 

Thanks everyone for helping me with this. For what it's worth, NO program on my computer is "seeing" the USB audio portion of this device.

33 minutes ago, Artie said:

It always has before. But that was using its supplied software. Also, that was on an older Win7 machine. ...NO program on my computer is "seeing" the USB audio portion of this device.

As Nat suggests, above, check the Windows 10 audio settings to verify that recording is enabled for the correct source.  Right-click the speaker icon in the notification area (bottom-right), than click on RECORDING DEVICES.  Open the Properties dialog for the device/s and enable them, if that's not the case.  Make the chosen device the default and see if that helps.

Thanks borate. I tried that, but no USB device is listed. However, on a happy note, the good people at Vidbox sent me a new activation code, and their own video capture software is working fine, including audio, as we speak. So I'm not sure what the deal is with this USB connection, but all is good now.

Thanks again all for all the help.

Artie