Make bins of existing movie

MarcDL

Hi,

I have digitalized Super8 movies from long ago. Now i want them re-editing. But i have a movie now in one file that's 19' long. There are several topics in the movie. Can i make bins of the topics so editing will be much easier for me?

Thks, Marc

I understand but i don't succeed. When i mark a first item between the blue and red spots A-B, and i click right "Use tis frame for thumb frame" that's ok. But when i take the item B-C and click right and do the same, the new file B-C will overwrite file A-B. This is not the meaning, is it. Even if i make as many bins as i want the new ones always overwrite the former bin-file.

Hi

Try this. It should enable you to isolate the sections you want but requires a bit of work at the outset.  It may not be what you want but give it a try..

• Open VP, Click Add files  select your  film copy and drag it to the timeline.
  • With the timeline selected  go into Clip Preview.
  • Play or move the preview cursor to the start of the first  section of interest and click the Red Start button.
  • Play the preview (or move the preview cursor line) to the end of the section of interest and click the Blue End button.
  • This will now isolate the first section of interest that is on the timeline.
  • Click the Sequence tab on the top toolbar
  • Click New. this will create a sequence of your selected portion and clear the timeline. VP will return to the Video Files clip bin
  • Click the Sequences bin tab and then select Sequence 1 which is the sequence you just made.
  • Right click the sequence and then rename it with a suitable title. e.g. Topic1(1)
  • You can now return to the Video File bin, drag your film copy down to the timeline and repeat the procedure with a  new section of the film copy.

You should be able to see now that as you work your way through your copy, you will have created your different topics isolated in the Sequence bin with suitable labels/titles.e.g. ....Topic1(1) ..... Topic1 (2) ...Topic.1(3)  ..............Topic2(1)    Topic2(2)      etc.  

Once you have been through your original film you can "Save your Project as"  with a suitable name.

Now empty the timeline, open the sequence bin and load all the related  sequences back to create a new timeline. OK, Now you have one of your topics all together. The main problem is that although the sound is present there is no soundtrack visible. If you require to edit the sound then it might be best at this point to "Save your Project as" again, this time with a different name again in case of problems  and then export it to your PC.(as MPEG4/avi  etc) When this is loaded back it will have the soundtrack and can be edited properly as with any video.

Offhand I haven't fathomed out a way of using extra named Folders in a clip bin as it seems impossible to simply drag and drop clips to them as one does with Windows files. 

Anyway I hope this helps

Nat

Another approach to consider...

1. Place the project on the time line.
  2. Drag the scrubber (red line) to where the selected portion will begin and click the SPLIT icon (the scissors).
  3. Drag the scrubber to where the selected portion will end and click the SPLIT icon.  That will isolate the split-out portion as a clip.
  4. Click that clip, to select (highlight) it.
  5. Press <ctrl-C> to copy it.
  6. Click the + to the right of any sequence tab that's just above the timeline, to create a new sequence.
  7. Click the area to the left of the scrubber (which should be parked at the start of the time line) to select (highlight) video track 1.
  8. Now press <ctrl-V> to paste.  (If desired, rename the sequence by right-clicking on its tab.)

Repeat the process by returning the sequence 1 and isolating another clip.

If sequence 1 is getting cluttered, it can be cleared by clicking on it, pressing <ctrl-A>, then DEL on the keyboard.  New sequences will not be affected.

Now the original film, under the video tab in the media bin, can be dropped back onto the time line. 

Hi Borate and MarcDL

"

4 hours ago, borate said:

Click the + to the right of any sequence tab that's just above the timeline, to create a new sequence.

I can't see this + sign. There used to be "Sequence +" at one time but that's no longer there (it seems). That's why I used the Sequence tab on the top toolbar followed by Add.

However, you have given me another thought on how   MarcDL can do this....I think it might be even simpler.

• Put the film copy on Video Track1
  • Use the Split option as you suggest to isolate a particular topic section and then drag it up to Video Track 2.
  • If any section has a different topic , drag it up to the next higher Video Track. and so on; working along the main film copy closing the gap in the upper track each time, or joining them up as they are added.
  • In this way each higher video track will have a different topic. e.g. Topic1 on Track1,    Topic2 on Track2    and so on.
  • Save the Project at this point.
  • Now export each track in turn with a suitable name as follows..........
  • Delete all the tracks apart from Track1.(Click the space at the left end of the track concerned and select the Delete option from the menu.)
  • Having deleted the unwanted tracks, export  the project. At this point it will be just Video Track1 containing Topic 1. Use a suitable name.
  • Now Reload the project.
  • Delete all the tracks again  apart from Track 2.
  • Export Track 2  (i.e. Topic2) Again use a suitable name.
  • Reload the project
  • Continue like this until all the individual Tracks (i.e. Topics) have been exported with their own name.
  • Now you can reload them individually at your leisure for subsequent editing.

Nat

That missing + on the bin tab may be a buglet;  same here but on only one of two 6.01 installs.  Did an over-install on the one where it was missing and the + returned.

There is a method of generating VIDEO bin clips from time-line seqments...

1. Place the full film, a single master clip in this case, on the time line.
  2. Click the preview tab and set the IN/OUT points.  The time line then shows only the video between the points.
  3. Left-click and drag that into the media area.  A new clip appears under the VIDEO tab.  Same name, incremented number (1), (2), etc.  The time line goes blank.
  4. Click the master video clip and again drop it onto the time line.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4, generating new clips of specific video segments.  Each new clip can be renamed via a right-click.

Sorry for late respons. I succeeded to make a big file into smaller bins and put in Sequence. Thanks Nationalsolo, it's very easy to do how you explain. Also Borate was very helpful. No worry's about sound. The movie was made in 1979 and the sound was on a seperate Music cassette.

Grtz, Marc