Vidoepad v6.01 currently unusable... for me.

VideoSmideo

17 minutes ago, borate said:

Chances are that 6.x installer is on your disk.  But why not download the latest.

Hardware acceleration is available in the current version.  Test it both ON and OFF.

My reg code is not good for 6. I'm happy to keep trying and pay for upgrade if it works but gonna need a code.

Ok I'm back in v6.

I've loaded 39 clips that total 22 minutes of iphone 1080 60fps .mov files. It can't seem to handle it. I'm trying to export the whole thing to mp4 and then will try to work with that. Updates coming...

Update #1 Exporting the original clips  to single 3.3GB 60fps 1080p MP4 file took 73 minutes.

Update #2 the newly loaded file is half way green-cached. I split the clip 8 seconds in and now anything after that split is stuck "building preview, please wait." However the time is still advancing  along with the audio. I will try again if and when it completely caches. 

I would have lost this bet... I really thought a single 22 minute already converted to mp4 file would have worked. 

Update #3 Fully cached, computer CPU not working on it anymore. Still stuck in building preview after first and only edit, that first split. 

Update #4 Tried hardware accelerated video effects unchecked and restarted program. No Joy. Cached, but stuck on "building preview please wait" along with sound and time progressing. 

Update #5 Lowered the preview res to 512x288 and 25 fps.   Even before caching it immediately works as expected. Is it viable option for me? No, because  < 12 fps in slow is too low to view at this res (accidentally put missed buckets in the highlights). But hopefully this is helpful to target core issue. I can also add that issues seem to be unrelated to computer resources which were never near max. Limitations in higher preview mode seems to be related to videopad. 

Edited by VideoSmideo

T

On 3/9/2018 at 6:34 PM, VideoSmideo said:

How do I count the files in cache? I see my clips and I see them in the sequence.

Hi

Under Options/Disk  you should see the address of the cache file on your PC. It will be something like...

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\VideoPadCache.   Navigate there and simply open the folder. There should be a list of files......

e.g.

e01f4a74d37a5cab20b839568e6158b5.jpg

This is the state of the cache when two MPEG4 clips are on the timeline. (Starting from an empty cache)  There are 10 clips...0 - 9.  You should be able to count them or right click the folder and look at its Properties where the number of files is shown.

Nat

42 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

T

Hi

Under Options/Disk  you should see the address of the cache file on your PC. It will be something like...

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\VideoPadCache.   Navigate there and simply open the folder. There should be a list of files......

e.g.

e01f4a74d37a5cab20b839568e6158b5.jpg

This is the state of the cache when two MPEG4 clips are on the timeline. (Starting from an empty cache)  There are 10 clips...0 - 9.  You should be able to count them or right click the folder and look at its Properties where the number of files is shown.

Nat

OK, am i looking for this because it sounds related to what I shared above? I dont seem to have that folder in the expected place

https://pictr.com/image/W4QhQ

47 minutes ago, borate said:

It shows up here.  Been using a 'cleaner' utility that has deleted the files?

"J:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\VideoPadCache"

Look under OPTIONS|DISK|CACHE FOLDER to see where those files are stored on your PC.

yup thats right C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\ and when I open that, I see what it is the screenshot https://pictr.com/image/W4QhQ

Hi

From your screendump  it seems that there is version difference from the cache point of view. Your files are simply stored in the  Temp folder and not all together in a named VideoPadCache  folder WITHIN the Temp folder. There have been  a few changes in the way the cache works and  I think this was the case in program versions before 6.xxx.  Your cache files must then be  VideoPad-18204-1 and VideoPad-18204-2. Open these and take a look. You will probably find they are not in the same format as found in VP6.01, as I think they contained both image copies, thumbnail copies and data files for each clip and each had a date attached. That makes things a little more difficult but doesn't solve your problem.:mellow:  What if you used a conversion program like Prism to convert the MOVs to Mpegs and loaded those?

Nat

It seems that you have had different versions installed, including one that may be very long in the tooth.

Start anew, with a clean slate.  Use this tool to fully uninstall Videopad.  Then load the latest, and see if there's an improvement.

If not, please upload a portion of the project, up to the point where it fails, as suggested earlier.  Someone can then attempt to analyze the problem.

...yea this is above my head. When I put the file location path in my web browser I do see the cache folder along with the other stuff in my screen shot. I have another Dell PC coming to replace this one because it is getting too hot. When I have a clean machine I will update this thread. For now, I'm editing on super low preview settings and it works. If this sounds related to the cache (??) I will look forward to the fresh install. 

16 hours ago, c_major said:

VideoPad-18204-1 and VideoPad-18204-2 must created by a very old version of VideoPad (I'd say 2.x).

The oldest version I have had on this new PC was v5.2.