Vidoepad v6.01 currently unusable... for me.

VideoSmideo

PC
i7-8700
32gb Ram
GTX 1080 8gb video
all SSD

Iphone Video File
1080p .mov 
60 fps
53 minutes

Editing preview mode
30fps and 768x432

Today I loaded videopad version 5.2 to edit up a kids basketball game. It crashed and I got a popup prompt to get 6.1 so I figured, sure. Now using 6.1, as I am trying to edit, the time marker freezes but the sound keeps playing. It seems to especially struggle between two clips in my sequence. After thirteen minutes in, the green line above my sequence's timeline that tells me it is ready for preview, won't go further.  Moving my place in the timeline back to the green pre-thirteen minutes in my sequence doesn't seem to play it either. Sometimes it will randomly seemingly start to play. Even in the green area, it is not editable or playable when I change my time in the sequence. Moving the red time marker around sometimes causes it to jump to and from where I was and am trying to go.  My computer's system resources isn't anywhere near max. 

After coming to the forum I see v6.1 is new. So maybe this feedback can help. If anyone has any ideas on a workaround, like using lower preview or shorter amounts of video...thanks in advance!

It's many little iphone clips. I try to stop the taping in between dead balls to have less footage to sort through. It was OK in v5.2 except for the here-and-theres. In this case... was able to export the game without editing it. Its managing it in editing that seems impossible. 

14 hours ago, c_major said:

Are there many little clips on the same track? How long are they?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JwFRCfvWjZtIE999sAjLmSts7y_eiOfmeKri9haXXkU/edit?usp=sharing

This is what I am seeing. The green marker that suggests the clips are ready to be viewed in the sequence stops. It wont play no matter where I move the red marker to and only audio will play, seems to be randomly.

I've shortened the sequence down to 5.5 minutes and it will play. But still hit or miss on responding to actions. Its almost like an online video that needs to buffer. I can stop and start it around the point where I am currently working but if I move it ahead four minutes or behind a few minutes it stops working.  When I move the red marker it tends to jump back to where I started...kinda bugs out. It seems to have problems processing my requests.  

It seems all I can really do is output teh big  entire group of clips to a single video file without editing. Once I load that long single video up as a new project, it is workable. No telling what happens when I start adding edits and breaking it up again... if it will behave like the clip before.

I had version 5.2 which seemed to be the best. The version before that used to always get stuck on building preview. 

Please follow the instructions in the earlier thread that you posted, and upload a sample that exhibits the fault.

Someone will check it out.

It seems to correlate with many large clips. Let me know if you want me to do it after reading my detailed account of whats happening in this post. 

Hi

Have you had a look along the whole sequence  track in Storyboard mode?  Assuming we are seeing the whole 53 minutes in the screenwidth it does look like some of the divisions between the clips are a bit prominent. Might they be gaps? (Probably not but just a thought...) If so you will easily see them if you either zoom in close to the timeline or use storyboard mode when any will become visible. It's also obvious from the green bar in your image that not all the clips have been cached, also you don't have any transitions (The X turns blue in 6.01 if any are present). Clear the cache of unused clips and see if that helps things. BTW How many clips are we looking at?

Nat

1 hour ago, borate said:

Understood.  But in order for someone to troubleshoot the project a portion that displays the fault needs to be provided as instructed above.  All files - including the VPJ - should be zipped and uploaded.

Just so I'm clear you want 50 whatever minutes of 60fps video clips and the project file?  I would assume you have a place to upload these?  

@borate, do you work here? Im grateful regardless...just wondering how to tell when I am talking to staff vs community. Is an Einstein a NCH team'r? Thanks!

@VideoSmideo

In the screenshot many clips have not been cached. It might be a caching issue when switching versions.

Try clean up the cache and open the project again. The playback should be fixed when all clips finished caching.

To clean up cache files, launch VideoPad without open any project. And then: Options -> Disk -> Clear Unused Cache Files.

5 hours ago, VideoSmideo said:

Just so I'm clear you want 50 whatever minutes of 60fps video clips and the project file?  I would assume you have a place to upload these?  

@borate, do you work here? Im grateful regardless...just wondering how to tell when I am talking to staff vs community. Is an Einstein a NCH team'r? Thanks!

No, that amount of material would be too cumbersome.  The hope was that you might upload just enough to display the problem, if feasible, to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc. and link it publicly.

"Einstein" isn't synonymous with "employee."   C_major (admin) is on staff.  Take his suggestion on clearing the cache.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, borate said:

No, that amount of material would be too cumbersome.  The hope was that you might upload just enough to display the problem, if feasible, to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc. and link it publicly.

I hear ya but it would seem this behavior is related to the size of my project unlike the last time when you helped me with a specific clip. 

On 3/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, c_major said:

@VideoSmideo

In the screenshot many clips have not been cached. It might be a caching issue when switching versions.

Try clean up the cache and open the project again. The playback should be fixed when all clips finished caching.

To clean up cache files, launch VideoPad without open any project. And then: Options -> Disk -> Clear Unused Cache Files.

Ok so hear is what happened...

I cleared it. I loaded up my existing 41 minute project. It took a long time like I was loading a new set of clips.  The first five minutes cached at a reasonable rate. Within that 5 minutes of video in the timeline,  I was able to move my marker around freely and view my video footage. It seemed like we are on the right track with it being cache related (with exception of the red time marker jumping back and having to be moved again which seems to be an unrelated bug so I won't keep mentioning that).  

Then, I moved my red time marker to a portion of the clip that was not yet cached. That seemed to have triggered things to go wrong. It froze briefly and after that... moving to points in the cached portion of the clip did not work. By not working I mean I can move the red marker within the green-marked cached  portion of the project but it will not play. If I choose a spot and hit play, minutes later, it may start playing. 

Caching in general:
The green line that is telling me the project is caching is actually progressing  this time, but at a crawl. It's covered 15 minutes of clip time in about 40 minutes since I loaded the project. And as I mentioned, the green portion of the project doesn't seem to suggest it is workable anyway. I am tempted to let it run for a few hours so I can tell you what happens when the whole project is cached and its resources are free to maybe let me edit. Not sure if that helps or if you can already tell where I am getting jammed up?

Let me know if you would like to share my screen or for me to collect any data before I uninstall and try 5.2 again. 

9 hours ago, c_major said:

Caching is done on hard disk/SSD. Could you check your disk space see if there are empty space available when VideoPad is caching?

I have 80gb left on the SSD where I am keeping all things video related. The timeline never did finish caching. Maybe I need to set allocation somewhere for a 45 min file? 

Am I not supposed to be able to edit a project so big? 

1 hour ago, borate said:

This recent thread may provide ideas and insight.

Impressive testing and knowledge of the inner workings but I don't see how it relates to what I am sharing in this thread. I don't have any project work I need to salvage and am not looking to use a lower level of quality. It seems like one of the takeaways is A) VP might be limited in working with the size of these files and B ) to use 30fps because nothing to be gained from 60. I record in 60 because its motion so it looks noticeably better especially when you slow down to 50% or 33%... you are back to 30fps or lower. 

These same basketball games were being edited relatively well in v5.2 so I don't want to settle for less than I had before or my default setting on my 128gb iphone. I am still using v6 because I thought this might be helpful for devs and because 5.2 crashed and was prompted to use 6.  I will go back to 5.2 if we are at a dead end here.  I also wondered if this might be specific to .mov files or if v6 has settings for system resources. 

Hi,

I've found this is actually a bug. Clips with Motion Effect applied will not get cached.

We are working on fixing the issue.

I'll post here as soon as it's fixed (hopefully by tomorrow).

Sorry for the inconvenient and thanks for bringing the issue to our attention.

@VideoSmideo

Could you please check if this is the issue?

8 hours ago, borate said:

Intriguing.  Have you tested both states of HARDWARE ACCELERATION, under the OPTIONS|DISK tab?

Is that a 6.1 option?  I'm back in 5.2 for the moment. 

7 hours ago, c_major said:

Hi,

I've found this is actually a bug. Clips with Motion Effect applied will not get cached.

We are working on fixing the issue.

I'll post here as soon as it's fixed (hopefully by tomorrow).

Sorry for the inconvenient and thanks for bringing the issue to our attention.

@VideoSmideo

Could you please check if this is the issue?

When you say "this" is a bug. What are you referring to?  What is "motion effect". I don't believe I have applied a specific effect. All my videos are kids running on the court. Performance problems exist before editing any clips including slow-mo. Let me know what you'd you like me to test. 

Hi

In the original image you posted you did not appear to have added any effects. So this may not be your problem..(motion effect bug or not.) 

The motion effect is a specific effect you can add to a clip to make it move around the frame...usually applied to text or images used as overlays on Video track 2 and higher).

C-Major wrote.."I've found this is actually a bug. Clips with Motion Effect applied will not get cached."

The cache does seem to increment here when the Position effect is applied... 2 files for each keyframe position set up.

For a single MPEG4 clip on Video Track 1 with Position effect applied (Start-End) .. Cache has 8 files.Is this incorrect then?    0- 4  relate to just the clip on the timeline. 5-6 relate to Keyframe position 1 and 7-8 to keyframe position 2.

Nat

4 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

In the original image you posted you did not appear to have added any effects. So this may not be your problem..(motion effect bug or not.) 

The motion effect is a specific effect you can add to a clip to make it move around the frame...usually applied to text or images used as overlays on Video track 2 and higher).

Nat

Right on

Hi

As an experiment and if you still have clips without the green band and there are no effects/titles/text/transitions etc....just all the clips in the clip bin and on the timeline...

• Start with  a New project (A Blank VP GUI)
  • Clear the cache.
  • Load your project. Leave it to re-cache......Provided all the clips are now on the timeline
  • Count the clips in the clip bin.
  • Count the files now in the cache.

For every clip there should be 5 files in the cache.

e.g. I have loaded 5 MPEG4 clips to the clip bin and placed them on the timeline. I have 25 files in the Cache.

Nat

We've applied a fix to the web site build to fix the Motion Effect bug. Please download it and try it out.

I just tried slow motion. The caching seems to work fine.

BTW: Nat is right, there should be 5 files in the cache for each video clip added to your project.