Sequence preview freezes, audio continues playing

I<3VP

I'm using VideoPad Professional 4.58. I've been using this version to edit videos on the same machine for a long time with no problems. I recently went from editing 1440p60fps content to editing 2160p60fps content and now I'm having problems.

I separate my audio from all of my video clips. I have a single audio track playing one file and a single video track where I add my video clips. When I replay my sequence the video randomly freezes while the audio continues to play. It doesn't consistently fail between clips (I don't even use transitions) or in the middle of clips, although it's probably about 75% of the time freezing between clips and 25% of the time freezing in the middle of a clip. Even if I wait until previews are fully generated (green bar is filled on the clip) before I add them, they'll play fine in the clip preview but freeze in the sequence preview. 

I've tried checking and unchecking the "use hardware-accelerated" box. I've tried clearing and moving my cache.

Computer info - 

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
  • 32GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

All of my video is stored on SSDs and my VideoPad cache is also configured to be stored on an SSD. 

I tried lowering my preview resolution even lower than I've always had it (down to 768x432) but this hasn't fixed the problem either.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! 

Test your project in the latest VP version.  Improvements have been made.

With the project loaded, click FILE menu|SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT.  Upload ALL the files that result to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.  Make the link public and post it here.  If there are many files, zip them first, then upload the zip file.  Someone will take a look, to see if they see the same problem.

Yes, that would be unwieldy.  Perhaps you can split off a small portion of the project that displays the same problem, export and upload it.

If smaller segments do not exhibit the freezes, then it suggests that success may be achieved by divvying up the project.

Essentially the same result here, when loaded onto an SSD;  the project appears to be unwieldy.  There are numerous unused files in the media bin (no green check mark) and major gaps in the video track.  Though the Mp4 files have an audio track, you don't seem to need it.

The bit rate of the Mp4 files is in the mid six digits (3840 x 2160 @ 59.94):  VP may have a problem with that.  You should get better results with 1920 x 1080 @29.97 or 30 fps for your source files.

To salvage the existing, loaded project, try this...

Click the + sign to the right of the sequence 1 tab on the timeline to open a new blank sequence.

Load the files that will be used for the first thirty seconds of so of video.  Then, for each clip, right-click the audio track and UNLINK from video.  Then right-click|DELETE the audio.

Let the green line complete.  Now export sequence 2 at 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 fps.   Give it a unique number. such as "sequence 1, 2, etc."  Loss of quality should be negligible when played on a PC.  This becomes a simple video only clip - likely in your DOWNLOADS folder - combining the files that were used to create it.

Once exported, delete all files in sequence 2.  Load the next thirty seconds or so of clips into that sequence.  Repeat the load|export process until you have processed all the needed clips.

Finally, clear sequence 2.  Add your new Mp4 files to the media bin.  Place them on the time line in order.  Add your music track.  There now should be a single video and a single audio track.  When sequence 2 is exported, the entire project will be the result.

If I'm reading this right, you have the same performance problems as I do with the project.

I have gaps and unused files because I was having such a hard time editing with the buffering/freezing that I never got far enough to use my remaining clips / fill out the project. I'm editing 2160p60fps clips because I want 2160p60fps output.

If I ultimately want to author in 2160p60fps (3840 x 2160 @ 59.94), am I better off exporting all of my source video down to something preview size (e.g. 1024x576), designing an entire video using those, then going back and painstakingly chopping up the actual source video to align with the clips I made in the first "preview sized" project? Does that make sense? 

Thanks again for the help and for taking a look! It's a bummer that it seems to just be too much for Video Pad to handle. :( I'm not maxing out my CPU, GPU, or RAM when I'm trying to preview the sequence but it still locks up. I was hoping maybe I'd just missed a setting or something obvious!

Your system seems capable, though you didn't note the amount of free space available on the drive.

Can't speak for the limitations of VP, but did load your first four untrimmed  files into a 64-bit editor on Windows 10, with 900 gigs free, and it choked as well.

Converted those files to 3840 x 2160 @29.97  (two at 50Mbps and two at 60Mbps). Both editors ran them smoothly.  Exporting at that res is time consuming.

If you work with 1920 x 1080 files, for smoother/faster handling, you can choose to export them as 3840 x 2160 @29.97.

Personally, I'd steer clear of 60fps.  You may not agree, but IMO there's little to be gained.

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem on bigger 4k videos even at 24fps I would add a text overlay right where it would stop and it would play through 

I thought it was because I was on an older system I have a Acer Nitro 5 lap top with a 7th Gen i5 dual core, 24GB of Ram, 256GB SSD, 1TB external and a crappy Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050