Restoring file / backup

Phuket Karen

My computer died, once last year and now this week.  After last year's debacle, I saved Express on my dropbox file so everything would be continuously backed up.  I also did a backup most months.  I can access my dropbox and all my express files, I downloaded the program onto another computer (while I hope mine will be repairable) but I can't figure out how to let it know where the data is.  I have tried -- simply restoring backup, doing a blank back up and then restoring from that folder -- neither works.  How do I get the new software to recognize the old data?  Thanks, Karen.

Hello,

The Sync device feature is a synchronization feature, not a backup feature.
The backup feature is available at "Tools > Back Up Data..." it will create a backup folder that can be restored by going to "Tools > Restore Data...".

This might not work, but you can try connecting your Express Invoice to Dropbox, when prompted, select to "Sync from the cloud", do not set your computer as a main device at it will replace the Dropbox data with the currently blank Express Invoice data.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi -- I did create back up folders, but when I tried restoring them the files are empty.  I also had set up web access, but that seems to only work with the now dead hard drive?  It won't kill me to have to redo a year's worth of accounts, but before I start again I just want to make sure I am saving them and backing them up properly.  Thanks, Karen.