Need data estimate making dvd movie disc.

cghbuilder86

Hi, I am trying to making a picture slide show with background music and video clips. I want to burn it as a dvd movie disc. I made this huge slide show that took hours to finalize but it was too much data for a dvd. Can someone tell me how I can see how much data I have put into a certain project? I would like to get it close without going over.

Thanks, Colby

Hi

As a very rough rule of thumb you should get about 2hrs of video on a standard single side/single layer 4.7Gb DVD-R.  That's about 4.4 Gb in practice. A lot depends on the soundtrack compression and the ratio of sound to video. You may get more in some cases. So if you know the duration of your project  you should be able to work out whether it will fit or not as it will need around 2Gb/hour of video. VP won't indicate this in its export to DVD option but some DVD/CD burning programs will show the amount of free space left on the DVD as you build up the file list to burn. if you want to get it your project onto a single DVD you may have to edit it down to around  2hrs even if that leaves some unused space on the DVD..To give you some idea,  I just checked some of my DVDs that were nearly full (4.24 Gb) and found I had a total film duration of a 186 minutes.

Nat