VideoPad Freezes Video, Doesn't Allow Me To Pause, But Audio Is Fine

Column 1

So the title says it all, every 30 seconds or so, the preview will just freeze up, the audio continues on just fine, and then I can't pause the preview, or do anything at all for that matter. I am new to this program, and I would appreciate any sort of help at all. Thanks in advance, -Column 1

Video editing is resource intensive.  What are your PC's specs:  CPU, GPU, free space on the drive, memory?

Close all other programs that might be running in the background.  Lower the preview resolution (right-click in the preview window to see that option).

Under the OPTIONS|EDITING menu, try toggling the HARDWARE ACCELERATION choice to its other state.

Are you using the current version of Videopad?  If not, give it a test.

If your project is reasonably small, place it on the timeline and then click FILE|SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT.

Upload all the files that result to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like. Or zip them and upload the zip file.

Make the link public and post it here.  Someone will check it out.

Hi

Sounds like your PC is struggling to process the preview display. Normally VP would put up a message to say it was  "Building Preview"  when it stops for that reason but if the PC is just working hard it may stutter . You could try reducing the resolution of the display by clicking Options and under the Display window change the Preset to a lower value. Keep the aspect ratio the same (usually 16:9) so try the smallest first (512 x 288) and see if that makes any difference.

Nat

12 hours ago, borate said:

Video editing is resource intensive.  What are your PC's specs:  CPU, GPU, free space on the drive, memory?

Well, this is embarrassing... AMD Radeon R7, AMD Radeon R9 360 (AKA Non-dedicated GPU), 1.67 TB of free space, 16GB DDR3 memory. I don't have an amazing computer, let's just say... But what can I do to use my hardware as efficiently as possible? I  have already tried lowering resolution for preview, and that doesn't work, it just makes it harder to see what I'm doing. Same deal with lowering the FPS and clearing cache files, no effect. I downloaded VP yesterday, so I am using the latest version (and just in case, I reinstalled it). I'd much appreciate further help. P.S: The file is not very small.

EDIT: I just tested it, and now it only does it every once in a while, and it does say Building Preview now. Hooray.

Edited by Column 1

You tested toggling HARDWARE ACCELERATION, under OPTIONS|EDITING?

If there is a section of the project that consistently hangs you might split out and delete all the rest, then upload that section as a portable project, as mentioned above.

Be sure to save your project first, of course.

3 hours ago, borate said:

You tested toggling HARDWARE ACCELERATION, under OPTIONS|EDITING?

If there is a section of the project that consistently hangs you might split out and delete all the rest, then upload that section as a portable project, as mentioned above.

Be sure to save your project first, of course.

Yeah, I toggled it, and it mostly fixed the original problem, however now it's "Building Preview" more often than ever. I might try uploading it as a portable project, but most of the time, the Building Preview thing happens when I have a large number of short clips all in quick succession. P.S: Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it.

I have this same issue. Lowering the preview resolution as low as it can go helped but in no way stopped it. It may not be your PC. I contacted tech support and was asked how big is the video you are trying to process?" Videopad is only a 32bit program and will only handle 3.5gb files smoothly." This totally explains my issue. The 1st 10 minutes play fine its after that about every ten seconds it buffers.

So would it be possible to open each 11min gopro video edit and save. Then reassemble the edited videos to export as a Blu-ray movie?

On 12/31/2017 at 12:42 AM, Ghost Rider said:

" Videopad is only a 32bit program and will only handle 3.5gb files smoothly."

This statement doesn't make sense. VideoPad can definitely handle files bigger than 3.5gb. "Building Preview" normally happen when generating cache files. Once the caching is finished you should be able to preview video of any size smoothly.

• 4 months later...

HUGE PROBLEM !!!!! Not only the Preview freezes, but also the SEQUENCE TIMELINE if playing a video.

I use newest V 6.01.  I describe this problem:

If I edit a video (MP4) and export the edited video (HD YouTube MP4 etc normal format), then I CAN see this video at all videobrowsers.

BUT: if I enter this video in Videopad V 6.01 and play this video, then this video only shows the first "pic" and freezes, while the audio play normal.

At the Videopad TIMELINE for sequence and for clip, I only see ONE "PIC" (the first "pic" at the beginning) .

This is not the first time OI have this problem and it frustates because I cannot edit created files anymore!

Fred van Ommeren 

Edited by fredvanommeren
also the timeline freezes