Change super 8 speed

mtMN

V 5.32

Many Super 8 reels digitized (individual files) with Wolverine machine which converts 18 fps super 8 to 30 fps video.  NCH converts some of the videos appropriately by exporting either at Max 15 fps or custom 18 fps.  The videos were first  converted with video effect from %100 to %60 (.6 *30fps=18fps).

No idea why it works some of the time, but frustratingly not consistently.

If someone could give me (a novice) a step by step it would be appreciated.

Hi

Copy your S8 reels (which would normally be  18fps) to 30fps.

I used to do this by making a direct re-film of the projected S8 on a screen using a 30fps VHS camera. (I didn't have a digital video then) Being shot at 18fps the projector had to be slowed down slightly to around 15 fps in order to prevent strobing of the image in the camera. The VHS copy was then digitised with an AD converter. Note: Projectors never keep a constant speed and one had to carefully monitor the strobing effect and adjust the projector speed to keep the dark band stationary at the top or botton of the frame.

At 30fps the VHS copy had 2 frames for each S8 frame. i.e. It had copied each film frame twice. At a projected rate of 15fps instead of 18,fps the change in speed of the action was only  around 0.83  of the correct speed, usually not enough to make a noticeable difference. The stripe soundtrack (mostly commentary or music) was recorded separately  at the correct speed and matched up during editing.

One loaded to VP and edited the export fps will make no difference to the speed  of the  resulting video as it will still play at  normal speed and have the original duration.

To clarify.... if you export at 2fps (Yes you can do this), the video still plays at the correct speed but each frame exported is 1/2 a second apart along the timeline from the previous frame. (Try it...you will see what I mean)  Obviously jerky!  Set at 5fps for example every 6th of a second frame would be exported, and so on. (Less jerky!) 

As your project has actual images that are different roughly 30th of a second along the sequence it means you can virtually choose any fps. above 15 fps to export your project and it will always export all the frames. (Not jerky!) To keep it even just click the Constant framerate box.  If you wanted to reproduce exactly 18 fps you would need to speed up your project by 18/15 =  1.2% meaning you would set the speed change to  120 then export it with fps set above 18.

Nat

Hi

Further to what I wrote above. I wasn't familiar with the Wolverine Film2DVD machine but since my reply I have checked it out. (Actually looks quite good!) It's fundamentally different however to the video method of copying  a projected image as I described as it actually scans the film frame by frame. Indeed as you say it results in a 30fps output but unlike the camera method this is a true 30fps of single consecutive film frames. The copy produced is then about double speed. (1.6x)  The process you are using is therefore correct. i.e. convert the video before export  back to the correct speed using the speed effect set to 60 (18/30)

The export from there on should be straightforward as it can be done at any frame rate as this will not effect the viewing speed. Keep the fps to above 25.

Nat

PS. Do you know if there are different models of the Wolverine machine as one I looked into used a belt drive to turn the takeup spool, whilst another seemed to use large plastic gears driven directly from the motor? Also what is the light source......lamp or LED?