Chop video clips into audio track

rnb0

I want to start with an audio track and then pull in a "source" video clip from which I take a succession of short snips, some of which will have a start point from BEFORE the end of the previous snip so as to give a kind of video stutter for lack of a better word.  Being a newbie, I though I could just pull in the source video clip and move the start and stop brackets to one after the other snippets and place those brackets pieces on the audio timeline (ie in what is an empty video track, at first.)   This doesn't seem to work as it opens a silent space on the audio.  Got a better idea for me?  Thanks for any advice.

Hi

Once you have your audio track in place, use the overlay track/s (Video Track 2, 3 etc.to position your video clips. If you use the empty VideoTrack 1 your clip will insert its audio into Audio Track 1 on which you already have your main sound clip. There are several ways to achieve what I think you want. This is probably the most intuitive....

• Place your main sound clip on Audio track 1
  • Select your Video clip from the Video clip bin and then use the IN/OUT markers in Clip Preview pane to isolate the video section you require.
  • Click the down arrow next to the Place button and select Overlay on Sequence at the cursor. Clip section will be placed on Video Track 2 and its audio on Audio Track 2.
  • Mute Audio Track 2 by clicking the loudspeaker icon at the left end and then drag the clip to the position required.
  • To use the same video clip again, select the clip once more from the clip bin and reset the IN/OUT pointers. (If you try to move the pointers without doing this  the clip on the timeline is affected.)
  • Click the Place button as before and use the overlay track option. The second clip selection will now go on Video Track 3 and the sound on Audio Track 3
  • Mute Audio track 3. and move the clip to the position required. and so on..

Admittedly this is a bit "messy" a possible alternative might be.....

• Place the Video clip onto the timeline. Right click it  and Unlink from the audio
  • Delete the audio track. Audio track 1 is now empty.
  • Select your main audio track in the clip bin and then use the place button from the bin to put it at the Start of the sequence. It will go on Audio Track 1 under the video clip.
  • Right Click the label "Audio Track 1" at then left end and select "Lock Track" to prevent it moving.
  • You can now select the video clip on the timeline and make your selection with the IN/OUT markers. It should not affect the audio track.
  • To use the same video clip again, select the clip once more from the clip bin and reset the IN/OUT pointers. (If you try to move the pointers without doing this  the clip on the timeline is affected.)
  • Click the Place button under the preview window and use the overlay track option. The second clip selection will now go on Video Track 2 and the sound on Audio Track 2 where you can eithere mute it or unlink and delete it.

You will have to experiment a bit to get the effect you want.

Hope this helps.

Nat