Click and Pop removal tool...Where is it please?

Nationalsolo

HI

I have just been editing some copies of old super 8 film and would like to remove some of the sound track pops and clicks etc. produced during the original splicing and sound track editing. In the past I have laboriously edited them out but notice that there is an Audio Cleanup option somewhere in version 5.20 (according to the Help option)

The question is   :  Where is it?   Help states...

Auto Click/Pop Removal

This tool allows you to apply a repair of a single click/pop artifact. To use it properly, you must zoom right in to the artifact and select a small region around it. Then select Tools menu -> Auto Click/Pop Removal. The repair will be performed straight away.

Parametric Click/Pop Removal

This tool is designed to remove click and pop sounds from recordings. It is ideal for those who have recorded music onto their computer from LP records and want to repair any defects caused by dust and scratches on the vinyl.

To use the tool, click Tools menu -> Parametric Click/Pop Removal. In the window that appears, you can configure settings for the following fields:

Click Sensitivity
This is the degree of aggressiveness (as a percentage) that will be applied by the tool when searching for click and pop artifacts. If you don't know what to enter, you can start by leaving it at 50%. The more a piece of audio is damaged, the higher you may have to set it. Moderately damaged audio can require settings of 60% - 80%. Be careful though - if you set it too high, the tool will start thinking parts of the audio are actually clicks/pops. If you set it too low of course, the tool will think some clicks/pops are part of the audio. Try experimenting to find the right value, and note that the level you apply to one file may be different to the level you apply in another file.

Maximum Click Length
This is the maximum length that a click lasts in your audio, in milliseconds. As a general guide, use 450ms if you don't know what to enter. 350ms is appropriate for audio with only small amounts of defects, whereas 550ms or 650ms is appropriate for audio with lots of defects.

Unless I am missing something  (which is possible ^_^), the options mentioned don't seem to be available under Tools.  has it been removed??

Nat

Hi Borate

Apart from actually editing out the worst clicks manually while in VP (normally they occur where the film runs through a bad splice) I also use a program called X-OOM Music Clean which has a noise reduction feature like that described in Help. But this means saving off the audio as a separate file, loading it, treating it, resaving it and loading it back to VP.:o

I just noticed the Help entry and thought it was hidden away somewhere as I had never seen it before.  But I've just loaded it and you are correct -  Wavepad has the Click Pop audio cleanup as described in Help. It might  be slightly better than X-OOM Music Clean as it looks simpler. although it probably means the same steps of saving etc.  I'll give it a go. Thanks.

EDIT  a bit later........ Yes it works OK but does mean saving/reloading etc.  It would be A LOT  better if, when in VP,  on clicking Suite and selecting Wavepad you could directly load and treat the selected audio clip on the timeline. (Easier still, have the Pop and Click cleanup option added to the Audio effects like Help suggests it already is. -_-

Nat