Cache file overload...?

CT58

So... I'm an active killer whale editor on YouTube (yeah i have problems) and I've been using VideoPad for 3 years. I use the little effects I have with this software and make my edits glorious; I get many people who ask me if I use Sony Vegas or any high-end product, and they're always shocked to find out I use a lower-quality software like VideoPad; I guess I make VP look good? ---- Anyways, the first year of editing was a great one; no problems, just nice smooth editing. But now, VideoPad seems to be trying to kill itself or try and kill me by frustrating the HELL out of me. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but VideoPad Cache files build up like nobody's business, which I believe is normal, BUT... they are causing so many problems.

I cannot export properly; I get the message "VideoPad's Cache folder is almost full" and the option to Export, Clear Cache Files, or Cancel. And when I clear those files, the export fails, or tells me that the x27c or whatever thing it is "is corrupted and/or inaccessible" and makes me download a new one, which the new one doesn't work in itself.

I cannot add videos into the edit box; VideoPad will actually corrupt my MP4 files and not let them load properly. It gives me a black 4:3 ratio screen in the clip preview box, and when I unlink the audio, there is only either a thick line where the audio should be, or just a thin line, signalling no audio, even though there CLEARLY is audio in the file, and the MP4 file becomes unusable.

I cannot save my .vpj files; If the cache builds up, VideoPad won't allow me to save my projects. It will say "Cannot save "_____.vpj" to "_______" (where ever i have it set to save, which is my Desktop.) And sometimes VideoPad will totally lose the project file, and when on start up, if I try to reload the project it will say "The file provided is not a valid VideoPad project file." All of this has been going on for a year now, and only now has it gotten to its worst point. I can no longer do anything that I'd like to do with this editor, and that is very annoying. After all, what is a video editor that refuses to edit? I've lost too many valuable projects to this software, and while I used to be able to fix it by going in manually and deleting the cache files myself, it doesn't seem to be working this time.

I am using VideoPad Version 5.03 currently; answers to one or all of these problems is GREATLY appreciated.

I have also noticed many other complaints similar to mine from MANY years ago, my question is why haven't these been fixed? Seeing how other editing softwares once had these issues, and how they were fixed within the next few updates just shows me that there might be a lack of urgency within this NCH company. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it's the truth... these issues need to be fixed if NCH is willing to hold onto customers. And if there's a real reason why these issues haven't been fixed, please correct me. (seeing how you all were able to add a 360 pan and panorama really makes me question your priorities here...)

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions.

Hi

In the latest version of VP (5.20). five files are added to the cache every time a clip is loaded to the clip bin. These remain in the cache folder after VP is shut down and even if the project is finished and a new project is started. Even if you delete clips from the bin, the cache does not change. Every file added to the new project will add another 5 new clips to the cache. If you have finished numerous projects without once emptying the cache the folder can be huge. It will not automatically empty itself until it reaches the capacity set in the Options page mentioned below. If you are not going to edit a project any further then save it off (as a .vpj file) and then clear unused cache files using the prompt in  Tools/Options/Disk. This should ensure that the cache doesn't become cluttered with unused files which could slow the program. I have never seen the "almost full" message but it suggests it may appear when the cache size nears the limit set on the above options page. Check the value you have..(Mine is set to 3000 MB.)

If you are still using a version that was running OK and you have not uninstalled etc then it should still work now. With all the problems you seem to be experiencing you might first try uninstalling the software. Deleting any remaining references to NCH videopad (even the registry entries if you feel competant in doing so) and then doing a clean reinstall from your original vppsetup.exe  file.  You could also try the latest version...   http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html?ref=nls191WA

Nat

Hi

You seem as though you are monitoring the cache file anyway but it wouldn't do any harm to use Tools/Options/Disk to check its location (usually something like...  C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Local\Temp\VideoPadCache)  and place a shortcut to it on the desktop. It's a bit easier to monitor the contents from there without needing to navigate to it each time. You can, if you wish physically delete the files from from the shortcut access. (If VP is running at the time with a project in place Those files currently in use will be left behind if you  delete all the contents in this way).

Nat

I would love to start up a new project to delete the cache files but VideoPad won't let me save the one I'm currently working on, and I'm not going to delete it. While I'm working, I will try and delete them, but it always says "No cache files deleted." or "Successfully deleted 0.00 MB of cache." 

How can I fix the "unable to save to project file ____"? If I could do that first, then I can get the rest of the steps done.

Hi

Try Borate's suggestion and see if ALL the files (plus a .vpj file) will save to a designated folder.  Your problem seems to be the inability to save a .vpj file. Without this you can't recreate your project as it contains the instructions. The fact you have a project "live" in VP doesn't alter the fact that you can open the cache and physically delete ALL the cache files as those in use won't delete. If you can successfully save a .vpj file you can try a complete reinstall.

Out of interest how large is and how many files are in the cache? Do they all belong to your current project  and what is the capacity set for the cache under Tools/Options/Disk?

Nat

• 3 years later...

I am on a Mac, and VP freezes when I try to go to Preferences -> Disk -> Clear Unused Cache Files.

How do I find the cache files via the operating system and remove them that way (unless there is Another way to make VP clear them... it freezes even when turned on without a project and trying to clear cache).

Thanks.

Hi

You have tagged on to a REALLY old thread. (2017) It might be better to start a new one for a future query.:)

In answer to your question re. location of Cache file. Open  Options/Disk and note the location shown in the lowest box. navigate there to fine the cache file. You could also browse to another location...e.g. the desktop and set that as your choice. Close VP and then reopen it. The cache file should then appear in the new location. You can physically empty this (delete the contents) like any folder. No need to have VP open when you do this.  I use a PC so assume that the Mac is similar.  Can't say why VP freezes though. (I have my cache folder on the desktop as I often refer to it when checking out queries and also empty it frequently. Note that the sound cache is also in this folder)

Nat