Audio not moving with clip

silvertree

My video is made up of 10-20 clips strung together. I unlink and delete the original audio but add voiceover with short audio clips lined up to the beginning of each video clip.

When I'm done, there are spaces between the audio clips where it's just silence in the voiceover track.

However, when go back and add or delete a video clip, all of the clips to the right of it shifts left, but not the audio clips. So if I remove or shorten a 10 second clip from the beginning then all of the audio after that mark is 10 seconds delayed since the video moved left to fill the 10 second gap and the audio didn't move. The older version of this software moves the audio with the clips so they don't lose their place.

I've tried relinking the audio, but when I do that it relinks the original audio from the clip and not my voiceover audio that I wanted. The older version will link the audio that is associated with the video track number.

How do I make it function like before? or should I revert?

Hi

Once you have unlinked and deleted the audio for your clip, add the new audio and drag it into position. Now left click the the video clip to select it, press SHIFT. Keep SHIFT pressed and select  the new audio clip. Both  clips will now be selected. Right click either clip and select "Group  Selected Clips"

You will now be able to delete gaps and move the clips and they will stay together.

Nat

Thanks Nat! That seems to work if I delete a complete clip.

However, I tried going to the clip adjacent to the grouped clip on the left and shorten it by dragging the right edge to the left a few seconds, the Grouped video follows the shortening of the video, but the audio does not move. Then when I go back to move the grouped clip, the video and audio is still grouped but the location of where the audio has changed. It was originally at the beginning of the clip, now it's in the middle because the video portion shifted left.

Hi

That doesn't seem to happen here... (VP 5.11)

• e.g. Three clips on the timeline...A,B,C.
  • Unlink B and delete the audio
  • Add a new shorter audio under B. Line it up anywhere but best at a good synch point.
  • Select both B and its new audio and group them from the right click menu. They should now stay together.
  • Shorten A (as you appear to be doing) by dragging its right edge to the left. Clip A shortens and B and C move left to take up the spaced liberated. The audio on B moves with B and retains its position. That is what happens here.

One slight anomaly though is that if your added sound clip is shorter than the video clip (i.e. the new sound for B is actually shorter than B and you have grouped them ,) then if you decide to shorten B by dragging the the right hand edge to the left, the audio is also proportionally shorted even though its not part of the visuals of B that are actually being eliminated. The way around this is to split B which leaves the audio untouched and then close the gap created.

However I can't  make the audio move relative to the clip once I have grouped them.

If it still happens and to make it clearer, post the steps you are following (as above ) and someone will try and reproduce it.

Nat