Building Preview.. Something's not right

d0ppler

Ok, I first bought the 4.X version last year, and had issues with the "building preview" back then, even though the "preview progress bar" is all green. Then I recently bought the 5.X version, hoping this was fixed, but no. It is still buggy. It's so annoying so I'm downloading a trial for Adobe Premiere Elements as we speak, to see if it's better in that software.

My specs are Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB ram, intel i7 CPU and SSD drive I have all my video files I work with in any project still not finnished. My clips come usually from a GoPro 5 and a DJI Spark drone. All clips are in 1080, with either 30 or 60 FPS

To show you, I've uploaded this movie to explain : 

This should be the top and ONLY priority for the devs to sort out. 

Click FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT and upload the results, please, to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.  Make the link/s public and post here.  Someone will check it out.

In the interim, try a lower preview resolution.  Right-click in the PV window.  Also try toggling the hardware-accelerated video box, under OPTIONS|EDITING.

Thanks for reply!

I'm uploading it to dropbox as we speak. But it doesn't help no matter how low my preview resolution is. Just sayin'

I'll try to deactivate hardware-accelerated in the meantime.

EDIT : toggling the hardware accelerated box didn't help

The high bit rate of the GoPro files appears to be the culprit.  When reduced, preview stalls from time to time, but no buffering.

Compare the reduced bit rate GoPro file details with the originals.  The exported mp4 at 1920 X 1080 with default settings was smooth.

Here is the revised project.  1.2 GB so give it time.     A related FAQ from NCH.

Ah, so the GoPro files seems to be the culprit! Thanks.. 

But how should that screw up the preview? Isn't the preview a temporary file downsized to the preview resolution? It should downsize the bit rate as well then.

I made more or less the exact same project with my trial of Adobe Premiere Elements, and it worked flawlessly, with much higher preview resolution.