Issue: Fade out effect turning off when running

claireji

I wonder if anyone can help me... I am fairly new to Videopad and cannot for the life of me figure out why this is happening.

I have added a 'fade out' to the audio at the end of my video and want it to fade to silence as a text title plays.

I added the 'fade out' and it plays perfectly when I double click the audio file and play it alone in the top screen. HOWEVER: when I then click back to the full sequence and play in with the video, the audio does not fade out.

I have been looking at this for HOURS and now losing my mind a bit! Please help!

Thank you...Cx

You appear to have unearthed a bug in 5.11 (and perhaps earlier versions).  To work around it here's a convoluted procedure...

1.  Select (highlight) the clip that's to be faded.

2.  Right-click on that clip and SAVE AUDIO CLIP AS NEW FILE.  It will appear under the audio tab in the media area.

3.  In the preview window, right-click on the audio display and apply the FADE OUT.

4.  Click the original audio clip on the timeline and use the ||<   and   >||  keys under the preview window to align the scrubber (red line) with the start of this clip.

5.  Click on the new audio clip in the media bin.  On the bin's toolbar, click the chevron just to the right of the green arrow.  Click the OVERLAY SEQUENCE AT CURSOR choice.

That should place a duplicate of the audio clip directly under the original.

6.  Right-click the original audio clip on the timeline and click UNLINK FROM VIDEO.

7.  Right-click the original audio clip on the timeline and click DELETE.

When the sequence plays it will switch from channel 1 to channel 2 audio at the start of the clip in question, and it should fade out.

Might just be the same...

Drop an audio file onto audio track 1.   Add a FADE OUT.  Run the sequence.  The fade is there.

Now add a split to the track - prior to the start of the fade slope.  Run the sequence.  Fade is gone.

Add a fade to the 1st half - prior to the split.  It fades, but there's still no fade on the 2nd half.

A somewhat related suggestion:  Make keyframe dots in the preview audio display a different color as they are difficult to spot.

15 hours ago, c_major said:

Hi,

We've recently fixed (not released yet) a bug that Fade Out effect not applied properly if Start point is not at the beginning of the clip.

Could you please confirm that it's the same issue (i.e. Start point is changed)?

To confirm, there is a fade-in at the start of the clip too, so I don't think this its quite the same problem. 

Thanks for the advice, will try this next time around and let you know id I have any more joy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 3:59 AM, c_major said:

Hi,

We've recently fixed (not released yet) a bug that Fade Out effect not applied properly if Start point is not at the beginning of the clip.

Could you please confirm that it's the same issue (i.e. Start point is changed)?

When will this new version be out.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:03 PM, claireji said:

To confirm, there is a fade-in at the start of the clip too, so I don't think this its quite the same problem. 

Thanks for the advice, will try this next time around and let you know id I have any more joy.

For me I can confirm it is exactly as c_major explained.  I'm not sure you understood what he described.  If the clip does not begin at the very beginning of the file (i.e. when you double-click on the specified clip in the sequence timeline on the lower end of the screen, the red square-bracket is not on the far-left end of the timeline in the clip preview window) fade-out is not applied in the export.  Whether there is or is not a fade-in at the beginning of the clip has no effect on the presence of the fade-out in the exported video.  I've personally tested it extensively. 

If you can confirm this is the same issue you are having, the bug-testing team can hopefully close this case (if they haven't already) and release a fixed version ASAP. 

To the admin: 

The current workaround is very tedious for anyone who already has a large video with many clips.  Trying to break already existing video clips up or trying to separate the audio and line it all up perfectly is just too clumsy (especially if you're a perfectionist like me... lol).  For me, getting everything lined up properly would basically entail starting the entire project over from the beginning.  Since that might take a couple hours of valuable time, I'm not going to bother if the fixed version is coming out soon.  Some official confirmation that the new version will be released in the next week or two would be extremely helpful for me. :)