Sign in to follow this  
sjs94704

Splitting the scree 3 and 4 times How to?

With the help of a couple great people on here I got my screen to split into 2 side by side videos. I am essential got a 4 part harmony singing the song "Row, Row, Row Your Boat". As you know, once the singer sings "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" the next person starts sing and the fourth, etc. As each new person starts singing I want to split the screen you one more time and on the screen it adds the 3rd and the 4th person. I will be splitting the screen as I go in an effort make it easier for editing.

So, I would like to know what formula if there is one to determine the settings the settings I apply to each 

Hi

Obvously a lot depends on HOW you want to split the screen as each person starts.comes in as there are many (hundreds) of ways this can be done. The very simplest is to place each image in each corner as they start to sing..

To do this and assuming each clip is 16:9 AR 

• Place clip 1 on the timeline  (Track 1)
  • Click FX, Click the Green cross and select Scale effect.
  • Click the Preset box and select Quarter Screen. This reduces the size of the image.
  • Click the green cross and select Position.
  • Grab the image in the preview screen and drag it to the corner required Values will be -25  -25

Place second clip on Video track 2 and move it to the time position where they start to sing. Repeat the steps above but move the second clip to the right hand corner.  Values will be 25 and -25

Place third clip on Video track 3 and move it to the time position where they start to sing. Repeat the steps above but move the third clip to the bottom left hand corner.  Values will be -25 and 25

Place fourth clip on Video track 4 and move it to the time position where they come in. Repeat the steps above but move the fourth clip to the bottom right hand corner.  Values will be 25 and 25

Screen will look similar to this now....mFZXf.jpg

Depending on how you have recorded the soundtrack (individually or all at once with 4 cameras filming), you will need to mute certain audio tracks.

Note that each clip (reduced in height in this screendump so you can see them all) start at a different point on their respective tracks representing the time point each clip (singer) appears. The three upper tracks are overlays and play OVER the lower ones but as the contents are reduced and in different corners the lower image areas  remain visible.

There are loads of ways using animation and effects to make this scenario  more complex..It's up to your own imagination.Hope this helps........It's the simplest.

Nat

Hi

Here's another idea that uses a blank to "uncover" the singers one at a time.

• Place the singers clip on Video track 1. It's best if the singers are side by side with a bit of space between them.
  • Place a blank black frame over the clip on the overlay track (Video track 2)
  • Drag the sequence cursor to the start of the clip
  • Click FX on the blank frame (Video track 2)and select the Position effect.
  • Now drag the effects frame to the right to reveal the first singer.
  • Place the effects cursor line at the start and click the keyframe button (Green cross with corner lines)
  • Now drag the effects line  along for the duration of the first singer. and click the keyframe again.
  • Drag the line along  just a little until it just clears the keyframe marker.
  • Move the effects frame along to reveal the second singer and click the keyframe marker again.
  • Move the red cursor line along for the duration of singer 2 and creat another keyframe
  • Move the cursor line again to just clear the marker
  • Move the effects frame along to reveal the third singer.
  • Add a keyframe.
  • Slide the red cursor along for the duration of singer 3 and create another keyframe
  • Move line to just beyond the keyframe marker and move the effects frame to reveal singer 4
  • Create another keyframe.
  • Slide the cursor line to the end and create a final keyframe

The keyframe screen for this "reveal" will look something like this.....

mKTdl.jpg

As the  clip is played the first singer is visible then the frame  reveals the second singer as his part starts, then the third and then the fourth etc. Check the sequence first before adding the moving overlay and note the times of each voice entry. You can then use these values to determine when to move the overlay keyframes. Keep the position frame at the same height throughout (Vertical =0)

Remember you can easily alter the keyframe points by dragging them if they don't exactly coincide with the audio..

mKcK2.jpg

Above........VP screen after singer 3 is revealed.

An alternative to using a blank overlay frame is to use the Crop effect. which you may find easier as it only requires the sides of the effects frame to be adjusted. The keyframes are set up in a similar way as describe for the first method. You can also easily isolate individual singers as and when required....  e.g.

Singer 1

mKvxf.jpg

Singer 2

mKFhU.jpg

Singers 3 and 4

mKJT9.jpg

Cutting out middle singers when required would use a cropped blank frame on the overlay track.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Nat