Saving clips from longer videos

Gddad87

Hi, I am a newbie to video editing but have read some literature on principles. I have lots of video on my drives in .avi taken from various videocams and I want to cut these down into shorter named clips so that I can mix them in full videos. I have Videopad Full version 5.4, bought yesterday. Today I have experimented on the above by:

Loading a video file (.avi)

Running it in Clip Review

Using Start and End to take a new clip

Using Place to put it on the Timeline

Using Export (on top row) Clicking Video File

Saving the file as an .avi to a folder on my HDD

This appears to work but I wonder if I am taking the easiest path.

One nuisance is that, having taken a clip, I would like to cancel the Starts and Ends to allow me to start a new clip; how can I do this?Thanks for any help or suggestions  for an 87-year old

Hi

You are on the right lines by trimming a clip in the Clip preview window with the IN/OUT markers.

As you have discovered the markers remain in their selected position on the clip preview screen. If you want to edit the same clip  again you just re select it from the clip bin and move the markers to their new positions. The clip you already edited will not alter.  If you select a new clip from the bin the markers automatically move to ends of the clip.

There are other ways of editing a clip..have you tried adding the whole clip to the time line and then playing it to the point you want to start at (or sliding the cursor line to this point) and then Split the clip. Move along to the end of you selection and Split the clip again. Now select the the bits not required, right click  and delete them. This weill inevitably leave gaps so right Click any gaps and select  "Close the gap in the Track"  This is just like editing classic cine film.

You can also do this in Storyboard mode and you will see the bits you create  by spltting as thumbnails as well as any empty gaps you have after you delete any bits. You can select and close the gap in exactly the same way. The principle is exactly the same.

EDIT.......

Forgot to mention that you can also load the clip directly to the timeline, select it and then grab and drag the ends  in to make it shorter or, if you go too far you can drag them out again to make it longer. If you are in Clip Preview you can see the section you are trimming when you release the clip end. This will work for ANY clip in a group of clips already on the timeline. As you hover the mouse over the end of the clip a square bracket will appear showing you have actually grabbed it. With this method the gaps close automatically.

Nat

Hi Nat, Thanks for prompt and useful reply to my question. As I need to save a number of clips from the same video I think I will carry on using Clip Preview. Thanks for the tip on selecting New Clip to move the Stat and End markers – very helpful. I look forward to carrying on until I have enough clips to make a video. Nice to know there is help out there – not like all programs.

Regards, Geoff (gddad87)