Can't import videos after system crash

stebbinsd

Ok, something went seriously wrong and my system had to reboot itself in the middle of a video export.

Now, I can't load any video clips into my project. I don't even get an error code; all I get is that the files couldn't be loaded. It doesn't tell me why not.

Also, it's now prone to random crashes.

Once in a while it also tells me that some DLL file is missing.

No amount of reinstalling the software does any good.

Hi

Provided you have saved your project before going on to an export and in this case the crash (It's best to do this as a Portable Project and better still to an external drive if the work is important) you should have your constituent files still available and a .vpj file for a reconstruct of your work.

However VP may have become corrupted and If a reinstall following the crash still won't work then you could try  removing ALL references to VP and NCH from your program file folder (using control panel) as well as physical search in the roaming folder etc. followed by using Regedit to remove all the NCH references in the registry. Once you have done this you should be able to do a clean install of VP.  Borate may come in on this with a link to a file removal program that gets rid of the bits other programs leave behind.

Nat

Wait ... your suggestion is a wee bit confusing.

Make a backup of my project onto a flash drive. Ok, I got that much.

After that, however, it's almost like I'm reading complete jibberish.

You mention using my control panel. Well, I went into "Control Panel > Uninstall a Program." That's how I uninstalled VideoPad before reinstalling it. Am I supposed to do something else?

Also, what the heck is Regedit?

Can you give me step-by-step instructions on what you want me to do?

You've given me version 5.04. That's the version I've been using.

I went ahead and installed the download link you gave me, just in the off chance that might have made a difference. It did not. Same problem.

Heck, in this particular attempt at firing up the app, I even got TWO error message at once! So for your convenience, here's a snip of both error messages in one shot!

Video_Pad_Error_Message.png

Hi

OK. leave the registry contents alone if you are not sure, but report the Bug as requested. "abnormal exception" would cover a bucket load of things I suspect. It would be intersting to know what the rest of the file path was that is partially shown in the Error load window. Could be that THAT file is corrupted.

Do any files (e.g. images or other clips) load to VP or is it just this particular one?  Try locating the file on your E drive and then dragging it directly into the clip bin and see what happens.

Nat

Please try manually delete everything in the following folders:

• C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components

Restart VideoPad after they are removed.

2 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Assuming you have VP reinstalled and open....,

1. Can you manually drag and drop an image from a folder directly to the clip bin area?
  2. If so can you drag and drop the image from the clip bin to the timeline?
  3. If so will it play?

Nat

No on all three. In fact, drag and drop is what I've been doing.

Very peculiar.  A final thought...

In lieu of manually excising all traces of VP from the PC, this tool does a pretty good job.

Find the VP entry and run the uninstaller.  When it prompts to delete leftover files (which it may do several times), delete them all.

Then again install VP.

This dll should be in:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components\ffmpeg23

or

• C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components\ffmpeg23

There should be a few files in this folder. These components should be downloaded automatically as you need them.

Could you try right click on VideoPad icon, select 'Run as administrator'?

You can also download the component package from: http://audiochannel.net/components/ffmpeg23.exe. Run the exe and extract the files on to the folder above.

Running as administrator doesn't help.

I extracted the DLL to the folder you said, but when I tried to import a video, it said that pthreadgc2.dll was also missing.

So I ran that executable you gave me. But it still says I swresample-0.nch.dll is missing.

So which folders do I extract those to once I download them?

Hi again

There was a similar problem here... At least after a complete uninstall and re-install things improved. I included all the steps to clean out the registry. Might be worth a try as I mentioned above.

Scroll down the post to see my reply re the registry

Nat

For some reason, the problem just randomly stopped. I'm able to import videos again and export the projects.

Maybe it's the fact that I not only ran that executable that C_Major gave me, but also closed down the VideoPad application and restarted it.

If the problem resurfaces, I'll let you know.