Video Transitions

Creamers

Hi,

There is a custom video transition called 'Fade'  , but this transition is fading out and then fading in.

Is there a way to change this plugin to only fade out and show instantly after the 'out fase' ? (Like eye's slowly closing but then opening instantly)

Are there sites to find more transition plugins or explanations howto create your own?

One approach...

On the time line, SPLIT the video where you want the dip to occur.

In the clip that is to be faded, click on FX (left-bottom corner).

Click the green + sign in the upper left hand corner.

Click the TRANSPARENCY effect.

Click the chevron to the right of Select Preset and click FADE OUT.

In the effects box move the scrubber (red line) to the far right.

Click the smaller green + sign in the middle of the toolbar to create a keyframe.

You should now see a line sloping from top left to bottom right.

Click on that line near the end of the clip and drag it upwards to the top.  This result should be something like this...

VP_fade.jpg

Close the effects box and run the time line to see the result.  Click FX to modify it.

If the "Transparency"  line isn't shown, as above, click the blue icon that to the left of the keyframe display

To delete a keyframe, right-click it and DELETE.

Hi

An alternaive..(and possibly easier) method is to place the clip that you want to fade out onto the upper Video track 2 and place the clip to follow it on Video Track1  Line the ends up.  Now click the FX on the fade out clip (upper clip) and add a CrossFade of suitable length.

When played the upper track will fade out to black and the lower track will take over immediateley. It will look like this...

aBzn6.jpg

Nat

On 29-7-2017 at 5:21 PM, borate said:

One approach...

On the time line, SPLIT the video where you want the dip to occur.

In the clip that is to be faded, click on FX (left-bottom corner).

Click the green + sign in the upper left hand corner.

Click the TRANSPARENCY effect.

Click the chevron to the right of Select Preset and click FADE OUT.

In the effects box move the scrubber (red line) to the far right.

Click the smaller green + sign in the middle of the toolbar to create a keyframe.

You should now see a line sloping from top left to bottom right.

Click on that line near the end of the clip and drag it upwards to the top.  This result should be something like this...

VP_fade.jpg

Close the effects box and run the time line to see the result.  Click FX to modify it.

If the "Transparency"  line isn't shown, as above, click the blue icon that to the left of the keyframe display

To delete a keyframe, right-click it and DELETE.

Thx! This works like a charm but takes more time if you want to use this alot.   Can this be saved as some sort of template of do I have to do this over and over again for each transition?

(will try the second suggestion next)

On 29-7-2017 at 8:36 PM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

An alternaive..(and possibly easier) method is to place the clip that you want to fade out onto the upper Video track 2 and place the clip to follow it on Video Track1  Line the ends up.  Now click the FX on the fade out clip (upper clip) and add a CrossFade of suitable length.

When played the upper track will fade out to black and the lower track will take over immediateley. It will look like this...

aBzn6.jpg

Nat

This is very easy!! same result ! Will just switch lanes ;) and add crossfade transitions ...

16 hours ago, Creamers said:

"Can this be saved as some sort of template of do I have to do this over and over again for each transition?"

Hi

If you click the FX tab for a clip and then use the Transparency effect to create your fade. (Any effect in fact)  You will end end up with several keyframes that represent the effect in action for the duration of the clip. If you now select the fourth tab of the effects window -  the one with the diskette icon you will be able to save your effect as a Chain Template. and give it your own name.  Now whenever you want to use that particular effect for a clip you open the effects with FX  click the green cross to add an effect and you should find your new creation under Templates at the bottom.

Nat

@Borate @Nationalsolo

I like the possibilities using the effect curve and I saved it as a Template. This worked but I noticed the following.:

If I have a piece of (let's say) 13 seconds and create that fading effect template and apply this template to a piece of 6 sec, the fadeout time will be different:

How can I make this 'universal' , it other words, is it possible to set a bound time for the curve instead of relative to the length of the clip?

23svyig.png

Hi

The fade in the template will always  be proportional to the length of the clip.

i.e. using a template that is set to produce a fade of 1 second  on a 4 second clip will produce  a fade  of 2 seconds if  used on a 8 second clip.

I don't think you can change that property. However a template can be quickly added and as it's WYSIWYG it's a simple job to just adjust the shoulders of the graph by dragging the template points right or left a little as required to give the duration you require..

Nat

• 2 weeks later...