Newbie To Video Pad Needs URGENT HELP . . . After exporting an edited video, ONLY the audio plays when the file is opened (no video)

ChrisMaiser

New to VideoPad, but have watched all of the tutorial videos and the operation seems pretty easy . . . but, here is the problem that I have incurred 4 different times . . . I am wanting to edit a video I have, taking the first several minutes of the video out and ending the video a bit shorter than the original . . . here are the steps I am taking (1) Open the original video in VideoPad, (2) using the slide bar and the "start" and "end" functions, I position the slide bar where I want the video to begin and hit the "start" option button . . . then i position the slide bar where I want the video to end and hit the "end" option button, (3) I then hit the "SELECT" button and select "Place On Sequence At Start" and the shortened/edited copy of the video drops to the "Video Track 1 Bar" down at the bottom of the VideoPad work screen and the audio appears to drop to the "Audio Track 1 Bar" down at the bottom of the VideoPad work screen just below the "Video Track 1" bar . . . since I am ONLY shortening the original video, I do not need to change the order of the sequence, (4) to ensure that my edited video is correctly shortened, i select the "PREVIEW" button from the top tool bar of the VideoPad work screen, the edited video plays correctly, therefore my project/edited video is completed and ready to export (5) i then select the "EXPORT VIDEO" from the top tool bar of the VideoPad work screen, further select "Export Wizard" from the drop down menu, then further select "FILE- Export To A File Located On Your Computer", then further select "VIDEO FILE - Export To A Video File", then the FILE SETTINGS menu appears and I simply go to the bottom and hit the "CREATE" button and the export begins and the progression information box appears

NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM:  Even though the edited/shortened video played fine when using the PREVIEW feature of VideoPad (to include not only it's new length, but it had sound and quality of video was great), AFTER it exports and I open the saved filed on my computer, I only have the AUDIO for the FULL EDITED VIDEO, but NO VIDEO/PICTURE . . . any suggestions????

Also, it takes an extremely long time (between 2 and 3 hours) to FULLY export the edited video to a file on my computer . . . . is that normal??

Any input, help or suggestions that anybody can help with is greatly appreciated . . . but bear in mind I am a "newbie" to this software, so you are going to have to speak in simple layman terms and instructions so I can understand and follow along . . . . THANKS ! !

Even though the edited/shortened video played fine when using the PREVIEW feature of VideoPad (to include not only its new length, but it had sound and quality of video was great), AFTER it exports and I open the saved filed on my computer, I only have the AUDIO for the FULL EDITED VIDEO, but NO VIDEO/PICTURE...

Likely a missing codec on your PC.  What player is being used?  Chances are the file will play with the free MPC-HCIt has its own codecs for most video and audio formats. If this was an Mp4, try exporting again.  Click the ENCODING button and tic the "constant frame rate" box if it's unchecked.  Sometimes that brings better results.    You might also test an export in another format. 

Also, it takes an extremely long time (between 2 and 3 hours) to FULLY export the edited video...

Export time depends upon many things:  Resolution of the video, format, PC capabilities, etc.  How long is your project?  If you upload it to a server - such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive - and make it public then link it here, someone will check it out.  To create the folder for upload, in Videopad click FILE|SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT.

Hi

What format and settings did you use for your export? Just clicking the CREATE button will export your video with the settings shown which may be the default settings or the last user settings,...and yes...depending on the length and complexity of your video, the format chosen and the speed of your PC, exporting can take some time (mins to hours!)

I would suggest this........

Set up a named folder, say on the desktop and then from the File menu  "Backup your Project Files" to that folder. This will save a copy of everything you used in your project as well as a project .vpj file. You can then reload your work from the project .vpj file after trying a quick test as follows...........

Now load a short clip with sound  (around 30 seconds or so long) and repeat the steps you have outlined in your post which look essentially correct. However, when you get to the Export Video File setting screen use the following settings from the down arrow menus... (Setup a temp file "Save to" file for your export or just browse to something suitable like the desktop)

ZIldv.jpg

ENCODER OPTIONS

ZIpH5.jpg

COMPRESSION SETTINGS

ZILc1.jpg

Click the OK buttons and then CREATE.  A short 30 second clip will export very quickly. This should play OK in WMP. You could also try playing it in VLC.

Let us know how this comes out.

Nat

thanks Nationalsolo and borate . . . . trying your suggestions know (taking time to export) . . . . I will let you know of the results . . . . my configuration screens area was a little different than your screenshots Nationalsolo, but it was all there, just in different places . . . . thanks for your help and let's keep our fingers crossed ! !

SUCCESS . . . not only got sound this time, but very good video quality too . . . . . speed time was much quicker based upon your suggestions (was taking about 3 hours before and now is exporting within 15 to 20 mins) . . . THANKS SO MUCH ! !