Adjusting transitions so they don't overlap on my video

Suzanne

Hi, I want to add transitions between my video clips but the transitions cut into the previous clip. The transition starts before the preceding video clip has finished so you can still hear the audio but cannot see the video. I've tried adjusting the duration of the transition to fix this but it doesn't make a difference. I want the video to be able to finish before the transition starts. How do I do this please?

Many thanks

Some things to try...

After clicking on the transitions X at the end of a clip two choices are presented:  freeze and overlap.  Try them both.

Try extending the FROM clip a bit, if video is available, so the transition will begin later.  Drag its out point to the right.  The TO clip will ripple to the right as well.

Hi

In the current version of VP (5.03) a transition between two clips is always equally divided between the clips. You cannot make a transition that starts on the right hand clip as you seem to want it to. If you try to drag the end of the transition bar on the left hand clip to the right to shorten it, the length of transition in the right hand clip also shortens. In earlier versions of VP it was possible to do do this so making the transition uneven between the clips. Unfortunatly that now can't be done.

The whole transition can be added to the end of the left hand clip if the right hand clip is moved up to the overlay track, but that's not what you want.  However I can't think of a way to apply a transition  to the start of the right hand clip that doesn't appear at the end of the left hand clip. (Fades-yes, but not transitions)

Nat

Thanks both. Nat, you mentioned about adding fades. Is that the "fade" option in the transitions toolbar or is there another way to do this. Fading out to black on each clip on the sequence would be a good alternative.

Hi

" Is that the "fade" option in the transitions toolbar "

Yes. You you can also pick it from the X between the clips. Using the "Fade" option is like all the transitions in that it is shared between clips. In this case it will fade out the first clip to black and then fade in the second clip.

You can also create a fade that only affects a single clip using the TRANSPARENCY effect.

• Select the clip in question and click the FX at the left end of the clip.
  • Click the Green Plus and from the effects list click Transparency. This will open the effects pane.
  • Drag the red effects window cursor line to the left end of the animation pane and change the transparency to 100% using the slider.(NCH call it Opacity!)
  • Now click the small green cross above the animation window. This will set a keyframe.
  • Drag the effects cursor line to the right to position it a few seconds before the end of the clip
  • Click the small green cross to set a second keyframe.
  • Now drag the cursor line along to the end of the clip and slide the opacity to 0%
  • Click the Small green cross again

The effects animation pane should look like this.....

H9eFQ.jpg

The clip will play normally up to the second blue dot when the opacity will drop from 100% to zero. In effect it will become transparent. As there is nothing "underneath" the clip to be revealed (which could be the case if the clip was on the overlay track)  it will fade to black (and export in this way). The following clip will not be affected and will appear instantly . Note that you can adjust the position of the fade out point by dragging the blue frame marker left or right as required.

There are other variations but this probably the simplest.

Nat