"Building preview" on every transisiton

rtuite

I am getting the "building preview" when trying to preview to make sure my text animations and transitions look right.  My machine is a year-old core i5 with 16 GB of RAM and a Samsung SSD, and none of these resources are being stressed at all.  Is there some setting I'm unaware of to allow VP to use more of my system's available resources, or is it just this laggy?  

Hi

Check the Preview Format pane Preset box under Tools/Options/Display  and reset it to 512 x 288 (16:9) You may have yours set too high for your PC to have the time to generate all the thumbnail and preview images etc. If this is the case and you are trying to preview your edit  it can produce the "Building Preview" message

Nat

But the question remains, why does it say (on my videos, at least) that it's "Building Preview" each time I try and preview past some transitions? Not all transitions, but on the ones where it does state this, it stubbornly refuses to ever let me preview that bit of the video in real time (I just hope, and review the final exported video).

I've found that once I've been editing for about 20 minutes (in which time I've probably got several dozen cross-fade transitions where I remove "Erm" and "Ums" and other such mutterings) this is when it all goes a bit "Building Preview" crazy. I've (sort of) learned to live with this constraint but it's still quite annoying. I've downgraded the preview resolution past the point where I can read any on printed matter, such as eBay listings (so that's not acceptable) but it made no difference anyway.

I realise that my graphics card is bottom of the list but there's no upgrade path for me there in my Ultra Small Form Factor PC. (sad face).

4 hours ago, borate said:

Does clearing the CACHE help or hinder?

To be honest, although I occasionally clear out unused cache files (by clicking that button) I find that if I clear the cache it takes forever just to build all the preview timeline snapshots again so I tend to avoid doing this. I'm 90% certain I tried this in the past (probably as a result of someone here suggesting it!) and it made no difference.

17 hours ago, Aresby said:

But the question remains, why does it say (on my videos, at least) that it's "Building Preview" each time I try and preview past some transitions? Not all transitions, but on the ones where it does state this, it stubbornly refuses to ever let me preview that bit of the video in real time (I just hope, and review the final exported video).

Are you always getting "Building Preview" on a specified type of transition?

10 hours ago, c_major said:

Are you always getting "Building Preview" on a specified type of transition?

It's probably more likely on a zoom (I zoom into a portion of the screen in about 1 second, stay zoomed in for maybe 10 seconds, then back out again). However, even on pretty standard crossfades it can happen. I don't use that many effects so if it's going to happen it will happen on a very limited set anyway.

18 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

When your PC is idle what is the CPU usage as shown in the task manager?

Nat

About 7% depending on what I have loaded (but idle).

22 hours ago, borate said:

And what about the "use hardware-accelerated video effects" ?  Did switching that ON or OFF make any difference?

Have you cleared Windows TEMP files lately?  Here's a handy free utility.

I've learned that my PC has no hardware acceleration to speak of. So it's off. Permanently. 

I've not cleared out the TEMP file but I'm confused why that is relevant? I use a special folder for all VP files for temporary cache files.