Text effects suggestions

Nationalsolo

Hi

Currently the only effects that directly affect text are text colour, outline colour/thickness, size, font, basic position and scrolling. Video effects of course can be applied to the text image in the same way as clips but only apply to the complete frame once the text has been written.

I do think there is a need for more animation effects within the text application on VP.

As an example I recently wanted to highlight individual letters in a title, making each in turn change colour or in someway highlight. There was no way of doing this except by creating a set of text images each with a consecutive individual letter in a different colour (yellow) and then adding them in order to the timeline.......

72f032325cdf95d41e0abfdf21d8c173.jpg

In fact I applied the GLOW effect to each of the frames to make the highlighted yellow letter stand out. (almost white)

I feel something like this could be implemented

Another idea would be to have individual letters animate from different directions (controlled by the user) to form the final text. Dropping in or spiraling in or spinning in etc.

Text could be animated to type in like a tickertape effect. Outwards from the centre or in from left or right etc.

With some ingenuity such effects can be created somewhat laboriously using the video effects currently present but often require a lot of text frames and trial and error or movable masking to get them to work effectively.

I think NCH asked for possible ideas so there's a couple or more... :-)

Any thoughts anyone?

Nat

Interesting thoughts there Nat.

Whilst I don't have a requirement for glowing text I do think that the whole text thing needs a decent update.

For example, adjusting the leading (spacing between lines) is not possible, at the moment, and it even throws a wobbly if you change the text size on different lines - the leading goes all over the place with a 24pt leading for a 5pt text. Trying to insert a blank 5pt empty line is all but impossible. It makes it quite difficult to get the look I want.

Your suggestion of having text fly in, letter by letter in an animated PowerPoint style, would also add interest, I think.

Even more important (for me) though is the ability to draw on screen (eg a nice red loop or box around some important aspect) and being able to move it around as the video shot moves around. I currently have to do this by importing a red, transparent box from PaintShop, really clunky.

Perhaps NCH have a backlog of features they intend to implement over the year(s) ahead - it would be good to allow registered consumers of their product to vote them up or down so they can see the perceived benefit of implementing one feature over another one.

Hi Aresby

"Even more important (for me) though is the ability to draw on screen (eg a nice red loop or box around some important aspect) and being able to move it around as the video shot moves around. I currently have to do this by importing a red, transparent box from PaintShop, really clunky. "

I posted a reply quite some time ago with a solution to this problem. The effect you want can be acheived but is a bit labour intensive, as indeed yours would be also.

You can use a text character  for your target indicator, no need to import one. e.g. Wingdings 2  "8"  This is a circle with a dot in it..but there are lots of others that would serve. Obviously they can easily be resized to cover the target.

The phaffy bit is to using position to keep the "letter" on the target and create a keyframe. Stepping through the clip and readjusting the "letter" creates the keyframe automatically.  If the movement is in a pretty straight line it's fairly easy, ypou only need a keyframe at the begining and end of the movement but a more complicated movement will require a lot of keyframes.

Nevertheless it does work.

Nat

Hi Aresby

I have just realised that although using Dingbat characters (circles/squares/arrows etc) will work as pointers or to conceal small areas of a video that might move about as in your suggestion they will not Save as such in a project file, or Backup project file.

If you load a project that used text composed of these characters they will revert back to normal alphanumeric characters. On the other hand they will export OK as Dingbat characters.

I wonder if NCH can find a solution to this? i.e. Whateve the  type of graphic character used in the text image, it is exported as such but in the project .vpj file it is  re-loaded back as an alpha numeric character.

Nat

That's a good suggestion, I'll try it although if I reopen a project it will be a bit onerous to change the character(s). I'll see how it works, thanks.

Hi

Just posted an little clip (TEST) on UTube showing a dinghy passing with a yellow square (Wingding "n") covering the helm in the way mentioned above. Here it is...

The subject moves relatively steadily from right to left with little up and down motion so it was fairly easy to set up the keyframes and not many were needed. More complex or changing movement would require more work. Obviously you can use any of the graphic characters (webdings) for the text (pointer) character but the video has to be EXPORTED for it to retain the graphic...saving the project or Backing up the project changes them back to normal letters. Indeed you could use a normal characters like O  or  > or ^ etc. in which case there would be no problem.

Nat

Funnily enough, although I tried this and think it's rubbish that the font changes from Windings to Arial after a project save and re-open, you're example with a square hiding something on-screen would help me sometimes when I leave a user name or some other personally identifiable information on screen that I want to blank out.

So, two things need to happen: NCH must fix the bug that changes the Wingdings font back to Arial, and once that's done, I can then experiment with the effect (like you just showed me, thanks so much for that Nat) secure in the knowledge that the character I've chosen isn't going to suddenly change. Just to prove the point I'm re-editing a video this morning that had a decent enough left pointing arrow from Windings that has now changed to a backward slash. If I hadn't remembered your warning and generated the video like this I would be well upset!

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'm enjoying using VP and like the simplicity of it compared to other video editing software. 

I am a primary school teacher and often make phonics videos with words or text in. Specifically, I need to highlight individual letters that represent a specific sound in speech. Currently I need to make 2 separate text boxes with the same word but highlighted letters a different colour. Are there any other ways to do such a thing? Also, can we download more ‘title text’ effects?

I’d happily pay a small charge for an additional text effects plug-in.

It's best to begin a new topic with a descriptive subject.  This one is several years old.

A single text box can be added to the timeline numerous times.  Open the text editor on the desired clip to be changed...  image.png

Swipe the letters desired, then choose a new color in the font color box.

Clip one ...    image.png                        Clip two ... image.png

There are no optional or supplemental title effects, AFAIK, but size, outline, shadow, font can be adjusted in the text editor.