Diference on Free, Home and Professional editions

octron2008

Hi

Can anyone explain the difference and restriction on each type of license?

It will be for a home use but if a Professional edition gives something that the Home edition doesn't give I might prefer the Professional, or is only a license issue that a Home version cannot be use if you are a Business?

Also what restrictions is there on the Free versions ( length of recordings, watermarks, etc) compare to the purchase versions, as I only might use it once every few weeks/months maybe a free version will work for me.

Thanks

In my experience there is no such thing as a 'free' or a 'home' version. Debut Professional has a fully-functional 14-day trial period and after that it will not work at all until you buy the licence. That is my experience, after using Debut for quite a number of years.

If anyone knows any different I'd be glad to be educated.

I would strongly advise you to take full advantage of the trial period, testing as many features as you can, as there can be bugs needing to be ironed out and Debut Support is responsive to prospective licence purchasers. If you buy a licence and find a bug too late for the licence to be valid for a later, ironed out version, you can be stuck with the faulty version. It happened to me with the first licence I bought (1.61), and several versions I've tried have been buggy.

Having said that, Debut is one of the better screen-capture programs, which is what I use it for, and it's worth persevering to get any problems fixed.

Josh, I downloaded and installed the free version (3.1) 2 weeks ago. Each time it started it asked me to confrm that it was for home use only, which it was. When I ran it this morning, it told me my 2 weeks evaluation period had expired and I would have to buy a licence. The top of the software window still read "Unlicensed Free Version"

Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Nope,it was the free trial version from your link. It now has a watermark across the bottom of the window and refuses to record MKV files.

I understand having a trial version that expires, but you should be upfront about it.

Saying that there is a fully operational version free for home use is simply not true. It is only fully operational for a limited period of time.

Your software is actually quite good so I can see no reason to be misleading in your descriptions.

A free version of Debut video capture software is available for non-commercial use only. If you will be using Debut at home you can download the free version here.

Could you give a link to the NCH/Debut webpage where the free version is available, please? I have never found it and have, over the years, paid for 6 licences even tho I am a home user.

Why so many licences? Well, if you don't discover a bug within the money-back guarantee period you are stuck with a faulty version and have to buy a new licence for a fixed version. So it's especially galling to be told that Debut should be free for home users.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have read through these postings very carefully, and I still cannot understand what are the restrictions of the home free version (link to home free version posted in this thread). I used the trial version (not the free version) and tested it for several hours, recording about a dozen short clips, and then the software said I needed to buy it if I wanted to use it. I saw that indeed I could not use it anymore without buying it. OK, I accept that. So does the free version continue to work indefinately, or at some point will certain options (like not recording to formats other than avi, for example) not be available? If so, what options will be available indefinately? Will the free version at some point watermark or some other way restrict usage? For the short time that I tested the free version, I recorded to avi and I think the software did a very good job of capturing video with sound. So I can't understand what extra features will be given to those people who pay the $25 (or so) to get the basic pay version. If you are purposely being cryptic about this topic, that's OK, just let me know that the topic needs to remain confusing and cyrptic, and I can assume your need for that.

• 3 weeks later...

So Clemenzina, is the free verson still working ?

SORRY! I had to give up on it because it's not fully featured. I can't even be helpful and tell you exactly why it wasn't any good, as all my time and hardware are committed to pushing out recordings, so I just went back to a version I'd paid for.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Love this program - and actually am fine with paying for it.   But - I need it on 4-5 computers.   Can't justify buying it multiple times.   Can the paid version be used on multiple pc's?    Also - what are the limitations on the free version?    

• 2 years later...